LR3/LR4 or the Range Rover off road?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys consider the more capable off road the LR3/LR4 or the Range Rover?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....stock?

This is an interesting question. Essentially the same overall capabilities I'd say. LR3 has a slight advantage on approach/departure angles but the RR has better ground clearance. LR3 has better articulation too.

Both being stock I'd say they could do the same things....

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The approach angle is better on the LR3, the departure angle is better on the Range Rover. Ground clearance is about equal, with the nod going towards the Rangie, and I would assume the Rod Mod could be fitted to either. The newer Range Rovers with selectable Terrian Control are perhaps slightly better overall, though wider (and that is a factor on many trails around here!), but the pre-terrian control Range Rovers (2007 and under?) are eclipsed by the LR3 in my opinion. There are those who worked at LRNA that would agree with this opinion.

One significant factor is that you can get off road accessories (bumpers, sliders, tire carriers, etc...) for the LR3, but have very few available options for the Range Rover. As a total package, the LR3 holds more, has more available options, is more flexible in configuration, and mostly equal traction and propotions all things considered. Also costs a heck of a lot less, but nothing looks quite as a good a full size Rangie.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the LR3 departure angle was better too, Nathan...but I may've been looking at old data (2008) and it really doesn't matter. At the end of the day they're going to be equally capable...even considering Terrain Response. If a driver knows what TR is doing, he can just set the rig up equivalently and modulate the control with his right foot.

If the rod-mod is available for the RR, it hasn't been advertised on any message board I've seen.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3
Ground Clearance: 9.5"
Approach Angle: 37.2 degrees
Departure Angle: 29.6 degrees
Break over Angle: 27.9 degrees
Side Slope Angle: 35 degrees (continuous)

(FFRR) Range Rover
Ground Clearance: 11.0"
Approach Angle: 34 degrees
Departure Angle: 26.6 degrees
Break over angle: 30 degrees
Side Angle: (uhhh couldn't find it... assuming its close to 35 degrees tho)

As both of the guys said above, the LR3 has the Rangie beat angle-wise (excluding the breakover)... but the stock ground clearance is 1.5" more on the FFRR than the LR3, but after a under a $200 mod you can then crush the FFRR in angles and Ground Clearance. The TR will be able to help either when fitted so w/e... and so the point is that the LR3 would probably do better, no most definitely do better and you absolutely have a lot more off road options for the LR3 so my pick would be the LR3/4 in this case

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the rod-mod is available for the RR, it hasn't been advertised on any message board I've seen.

I don't *know* that it is, but the ride height sensors are off the shelf parts that I know for a fact are the same as the LR2 and also my wife's Nissan Armada...so I assume they are the same sensor units as what's on the MkII RR. If that's true, it should work fine.

ChesapeakeRover, It would be interesting to learn if the MkIII RR has Super Extended mode available. If not, then the ground clearance would really be equalized too.

I'm pretty surprised that the LR3 has better departure angle (I'm assuming that's measured in OffRoad height?). The rear of the RR looks higher to me, but I guess it hangs out there a tad further than even the LR3's long butt.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm, Is there any basis for the better articulation comment?
One plus for off roading in the RR is the exhaust is tucked away better. That said, I don't even like the looks of the RR better. I like the LR3 better in every way - except for the leather quality and the seat comfort. But that's just me.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ChesapeakeRover, It would be interesting to learn if the MkIII RR has Super Extended mode available. If not, then the ground clearance would really be equalized too.

I'm pretty surprised that the LR3 has better departure angle (I'm assuming that's measured in OffRoad height?). The rear of the RR looks higher to me, but I guess it hangs out there a tad further than even the LR3's long butt.

Yeah that was all in off road mode, for both the FFRR and LR3.

And After a quick look over at rangerovers.net I can't see any evidence that the Mk III has an extended mode, only the later classics and P38s did.

LR3 has better articulation too..
Is there any basis for the better articulation comment?

Uhhh well sadly...the FFRR has 10.8" of front wheel travel as well as 13.2" of rear which is slightly more than the LR3s 10" in the front and 13" in the rear, but come on, that's so minimal.

Also the wheelbases for each are: 113.4" for the FFRR and 113.6" for the LR3... always thought the LR3 looked shorter... must be an optical illusion b/c the overall length of the range :dontknow:

Last edited:

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven our bone stock 2008 FFRR and my old LR3 with Yoko A\T-S over the same terrain on our ranch. Lots of narrow cliffside roads, a few 2' deep rockstrewn creeks and 30 degree plus ascents.

The FFRR has a noticeably smoother ride over dirt roads and rough terrain, and seems to climb steep grass/gravel ascents with less wheel spinning that the LR3. The LR3 just feels more utilitarian and involving, whereas the FFRR isolates and cossets. They both go anywhere I was willing to venture. The FFRR is noticeably wider than the LR3 on the mountain trails, which makes it slower and means I'm out with my shovel or hedge shears more often.

My current Cayenne with Pirelli ATR's cannot climb a few of the hills that were exciting, yet manageable, with the Rovers. I've also almost gotten stuck on a marshy road that was no issue for the Rovers.

I'm looking to sell the Cayenne and replacing it with a pre-owned Cayman and LR3/4.

Last edited:

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven our bone stock 2008 FFRR and my old LR3 with Yoko AT-S over the same terrain on our ranch. Lots of narrow cliffside roads, a few 2' deep rockstrewn creeks and 30 degree plus ascents.

The FFRR has a noticeably smoother ride over dirt roads and rough terrain, and seems to climb steep grass/gravel ascents with less wheel spinning that the LR3.

Interesting, a while back I was wheelin (bone stock) with a (bone stock) FFRR. We both had to go up and over this muddy hill with relatively steep approach and break over angles and I got up in in one try (with a little help of the skinny pedal :biggrin:) and he on the other hand probably took at least 4 or 5 tries before he got up. The problem seemed to be that he could get to the top and get the front wheels over but couldn't pull his backside up and over and kind just sat at the top spinning all four wheels trying to grab on something up there so finally he just really gunned it and momentum took over never really over coming the lack of traction issue

... and by bone stock I mean I still had the goodFORONEyear wranglers on the LR3

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo