just clarification here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FloridaLR3

Reaction score
So I have a 2006 lr3 se and to my understanding if you have a whining or humming noise or what i like to call almost like a warped rotor sound coming from rear . I can only hear it when Windows are up. So to clarify if I am driving and switch the gear selector to neutral at say 50mph and the noise is still there it's safe to say rear diff is on its way out? I was reading up on a forum in here about it but no one answered that conclusively.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically it would expect that you should check all your wheel bearings, and then check the rear diff. I'd guess it's the diff. Could also be a few other things but that's going to be the common ones. Let me know if I can help once you sort it out.

FloridaLR3

Reaction score
Typically it would expect that you should check all your wheel bearings, and then check the rear diff. I'd guess it's the diff. Could also be a few other things but that's going to be the common ones. Let me know if I can help once you sort it out.
thanks I'll get it up on a lift tomorrow and have a look. if I get play in rear wheels moving up and down or side to side it's a wheel bearing yes? I'll send you an email shortly

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lost the front wheel bearings on my 07 LR3. There was noticeable shake when the car was jacked up. Not a real bad job but the torque for the axle nut if I remember correctly is 225 ft. lbs. Took a long bar to break it loose and the bearing had a bunch of rust on the outside race making for a lot of hammering to get it out but it went together great and was quite when I sold the vehicle. Good luck.

FloridaLR3

Reaction score
tlt thanks a lot. I bought all the fluids and installed them today. What a difference! Royal purple is what I use in my audi and never thought to put in my landrover. I can tell a huge difference and believe it or not the whining noise has dropped dramatically. I'm impressed! Everything done but get the filter and zf 6 fluid for the trans. By the way I tried to call your number today .

FloridaLR3

Reaction score
I lost the front wheel bearings on my 07 LR3. There was noticeable shake when the car was jacked up. Not a real bad job but the torque for the axle nut if I remember correctly is 225 ft. lbs. Took a long bar to break it loose and the bearing had a bunch of rust on the outside race making for a lot of hammering to get it out but it went together great and was quite when I sold the vehicle. Good luck.
The bearings have been replaced in the front recently by a shop. I've yet to source a good company on rear . The fronts I bought were supposed to be the rears so shop said well your fronts are bad, so I had them do it. Been to busy to buy the rears. I forgot to check movement on it while on rack.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635