I know tires have been beaten to death, but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how you SOBs in California can have it all like this.

1. Great football teams
2. Great weather
3. Great wheelin

...I'm up here in the Northwest and you'd think we'd have some good stuff up here but it seems to be the same 6 trails in the state of Washington! ...and they aren't as technical as what you guys have. ...seems to be tame stuff or death-wheelin with little in between.

More mud and roots, less rocks and sand. I guess that's why I don't worry quite as much about protection as you guys. I have a few skids and I've re-enforced my running boards...but up here it's more about getting some serious tires than anything else.

dugedug

Reaction score
I don't understand how you SOBs in California can have it all like this.

1. Great football teams
2. Great weather
3. Great wheelin

...I'm up here in the Northwest and you'd think we'd have some good stuff up here but it seems to be the same 6 trails in the state of Washington! ...and they aren't as technical as what you guys have. ...seems to be tame stuff or death-wheelin with little in between.

More mud and roots, less rocks and sand. I guess that's why I don't worry quite as much about protection as you guys. I have a few skids and I've re-enforced my running boards...but up here it's more about getting some serious tires than anything else.

1. no way
2. Depends
3. I loved Paradise, WA. I've been on some pretty harry trails south of Ft. Lewis also.

Trynian

Reaction score
Between the BFG and the GRSA, the BFG's has more sidewall ply then the GRSA and a more gripping tread.

So the BFG's are a bit stiffer for road driving but grip a bit better on off-road situations.

The GRSA are very nice on the road but only have 2 ply side wall and slip a bit more then the BFG's in some situations.

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG is better All Terrain tire... it just is...
With 95% city 5% light off roading you may want to consider the GRSA..

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...you mean Paradise on Mt. Rainier? I haven't heard of a lot of stuff there. I guess I'm referring to official off-roading trails or parks. It just seems like as much as I look for places to go around here, I always come up with the same 8 or 9 places.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG is better All Terrain tire... it just is...
With 95% city 5% light off roading you may want to consider the GRSA..

I took my week old BFG's out to Stoddard Wells OHV this weekend with SDLRC and beat the snot
out of them. Have to say I'm pretty impressed. The rocks on the trails in this area are the some of the sharpest I have ever encountered. I mean jagged and protruding from the sides. The third ply on the sidewall really seemed to make a difference. BFG's still had some minor sidewall scrapes but didn't blowout. I certainly would have shredded my old Toyo's.

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
I took my week old BFG's out to Stoddard Wells OHV this weekend with SDLRC and beat the snot
out of them. Have to say I'm pretty impressed. The rocks on the trails in this area are the some of the sharpest I have ever encountered. I mean jagged and protruding from the sides. The third ply on the sidewall really seemed to make a difference. BFG's still had some minor sidewall scrapes but didn't blowout. I certainly would have shredded my old Toyo's.

That is why I think BFG's are really the best all around tire for the LR3.

If you are going to do mostly ********* off-road stuff then there are other options. If you are going to do 50/50 off-road on road stuff with some higher level off-road stuff then the BFG is the way to go.

If you are mostly on road and doing some difficult off-road once in a while the the GRSA are a good choice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink