How are you getting 20mpg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own an 2006 LR3 SE - V8 and have yet to see mileage beyond 16.2 mpg.....I have put 6000 miles on so far with 3 road trips and I can see getting anything better than what I am getting.

What am I doing wrong?

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have asked the same question. Lucky I am on the other end of the spectrum. I consistently get over 20MPG on the highway and have gotten as good as 24mpg. I get 14-16mpg driving in traffic. I usually average about 400 miles on a tank of gas. I live in south Louisiana so its pretty flat and hot. Usually AC on arctic mode all the time. I also have 76K on the odometer and mine is an 05 SE V8.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten 22 mpg. It takes a very light foot, no hills, a long run, speed less than 45 mph and a 20 knot tail wind.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does seem to vary a little from car to car. However, at 83K I'll still get 20+ mpg on the highway. Computed and measured on long highway trips, but I don't have to be driving for too long for the computer to show it.

I don't baby it either. That is driving 70mph w/ a Yakima Skybox on the roof. I use cruise control, drive in Sport mode, and just basically drive normally. I keep the tire pressure at the suggested PSI. I have noticed my MPG drop if my tire pressure is off.

Around town (random driving for several tanks w/o paying attention) will see my computed average drop between 12-15 mpg.

It scares me that the LR4 says 17MPG highway. That means 16 might be acceptable for some rovers. I would hope they would have improved the gas mileage, not gotten worse...

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree about the new LR's. I am not quite sure an extra 75 hp is worth it. I am anxious to see one off the blacktop.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically speed / hill / acceleration dependent.

20 MPG requires pretty flat terrain, judicious use of throttle and no excessive speading. I take the hit and can generally get 18 MPG with speeds around the 85 MPH range; 65 MPH and 20 is pretty standard.

oakley-mra125

Reaction score
I've got an '06 SE, when I drive it I get about 20mpg in mixed driving. 80 plus on the highway, late braking and fairly rapid acceleration. When my wife drives it she only gets in the low 16's. The longer I've had it the better the milage. 32k now. When I put new tires on it the milage initially went down, but now no complaints.

My Range Rover gets 16.8 to 17.2 no matter how it's driven, which I just dont get.

I have driven both trucks from Denver to Chicago, The LR3 got about 19mpg on the trip and the Rover was at 17.5mpg with the cruise set at 82, I also use a secondary gps to measure the speed and calculate fuel usage, so I know it's pretty accurate.

Trynian

Reaction score
I think if you have tires larger then stock your onboard mpg indicator will be off a bit. I used an independent GPS to track distance on a trip, I drove more miles then on my odometer according to it. The net result on mileage was about 2 miles more per gallon per the math. The vehicle meter said about 18-19, so I did about 20-21 on a 320 mile drive with varied terrain in California averaging about 70 mph, sport mode in the hills..

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what size and type of tires are you guys running that are getting 20mpg? I can only get about 16 maybe 18 on the highway if I really baby it. I am running the 32" DuraTracs.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 22mpg driving on the highway. In the city, I can get 12-15mpg. But I am really humble off the line.. Im in auto mode and leave the line at a snails pace.. it's funny though, Im sure the guy behind me sees the "V8 HSE" but Im driving like miss daisy on the get-go. I try to keep my tach below 3000 while on flat roads...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635