Gas Leak!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hap

Reaction score
So as I came out of the Costco where I'd been for about 20 minutes, I noticed the strong smell of gasoline around the rangie (95 County LWB). I look around back and there's a puddle of gas under the tank, about a pint, and a steady drip from the topside of the tank. This is the first time I've noticed any leaks from this quadrant of the truck - and as it's new to me, I check underneath fairly regularly.

It wasn't a gusher, so I drove it back to my work parking lot, about a mile. By this time it was still dripping, but significantly less. I checked again after about an hour, and I can still smell gas, the top of the tank still looks wet, but no drip and no puddle. It's hot and dry where I am, so its possible any puddle is evaporating as quickly as it is forming, but still seems less severe than when I originally noticed.

Possibly (probably?) related to the leak is the fact that I'd just filled up at the Costco gas pumps (not making any assumptions just yet though).

So? Guesses? Is it the filler neck? The return lines? Something else? The drive home is about 23 miles - should I risk it, or have it towed?

I appreciate any thoughts you can provide.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I see that my response is late, but sadly this is somewhat normal for older Land Rovers and many other vehicles for that matter. Normally this is either the filler neck, or possibly the vent tube has gotten a small crack, the odds are you filled it all the way till it stopped pumping and maybe tried to top it off? Or worse case it could be the top of the tank starting to split (recall on newer Discoveries okay 2002 or so I think)

Yes it should be safe to drive, many people do so, but as always it could also be serious issue, so my word is not legal advise, so please drive at your own risk... if it were mine I would drive it.

agb2g2

Reaction score
Is there a way to seal the tank or is better to replace? Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what the issue is? If it is a seam leak - replace it, if it is the filler neck you should be able to seal it.

agb2g2

Reaction score
Call dealer there is a recall for replacing gas tanks on RR 94-97 and LR. I already schedule mine to be replaced.

Lemontin

Reaction score
My 92 RR also just started doing this. Only when I let it fill until it stops. It only leaks for a few seconds and then stops.

Now when I hear it's getting full I stop it automatically, and no more leaks. I know this is not solving the real issue, but it does prevent gas from leaking.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a recall for a 92 do they?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call your dealer with your vin number and see.
Don't continue to keep driving it that way, Rover are known to be one of the fastest vehicle to burn to the ground because of the amount of aluminum on them.

Lemontin

Reaction score
I was hoping there was some place online I could look up to see if their was a recall on my 92. My 'local' dealer is anything but helpful so I'm hesitant to call them for anything. All I do is walk in and they say.. "we don't do classics"
I just want to order some parts
"we don't do classics"
it's just touch up paint this time
"we don't do classics.. go sit in the corner until we feel you've suffered enough for us to stoop to your level and order some lousy part for your stinkin' classic"

Of course the last part is just implied, but nevertheless my impression of 3 experiences with them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM