Fuel Tank Skid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dented the fuel tank skid pretty well over the course of the last few trips. I know these are expensive to replace as the tank itself needs to be replaced most often. I've heard that hammering out the fuel tank skid can let the factory tank pop back out. Can I remove the skid plate without the tank coming down or does the plate hold the tank in place? If it does hold it in place, how does one remove the tank skid to work on it?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to remove the tank support when you are low on fuel because that tank will want to fall on you. Put a couple of supports under the tank and you should be fine.

Trynian

Reaction score
So did you dent it more on the bull? How did the trip go?

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike: Don't I have a better shot at getting the tank to pop back out if I do it when it's full of fuel? Is there anything else at all holding the tank in place?

Trynian: Was an adventure to say the least, will post a full update tonight.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't crawled under a LR3, but if it is like most Rovers, the skid plate is all that is holding the tank up, and assuming it is the typical rubber/plastic tank, it will pop out when the tank skid plate is removed and straightened.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even without the weight of a full tank of gas? If so I'll run it down as low as possible.

My fuel gauge isn't working. It showed 3/4 when I had about a gallon of fuel left. Related? Likely to fix itself by popping the tank back out? I also believe I had a fuel pump issue as the vehicle stalled and wouldn't start for the longest time. Started after sitting for 30 min though.

ColumbiaRoverCG

Reaction score
sure you just dont want to buy a full non factory Skid plate from me, its only $275 shipped and made from Aluminum, it never needs painting and will never corrode and is alot cheaper then having to buy a new fuel tank

[email protected]

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike is half right. The skid plate holds the tank in place, nothing else supports it. However, it's a rigid polyethylene based material, and VERY difficult to pop back out. The vulnerability of the LR3 design is this tank, and it's dammed non-serviceable fuel pump that is located in the portion of the tank that hangs down and gets beat up. You cannot access this pump, even with the tank out and on the ground. The only way to service the fuel pump is to buy a new tank ($1,000 and typically backordered).

A real gas tank skid would be awesome. Columbia Rover, does your skid actually exist? Is it the High Country skid, or something different? The High Country design does not work well (without modification) with the RS sliders.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike is half right. The skid plate holds the tank in place, nothing else supports it. However, it's a rigid polyethylene based material, and VERY difficult to pop back out. The vulnerability of the LR3 design is this tank, and it's dammed non-serviceable fuel pump that is located in the portion of the tank that hangs down and gets beat up. You cannot access this pump, even with the tank out and on the ground. The only way to service the fuel pump is to buy a new tank ($1,000 and typically backordered).

A real gas tank skid would be awesome. Columbia Rover, does your skid actually exist? Is it the High Country skid, or something different? The High Country design does not work well (without modification) with the RS sliders.

High Country says you can order it from them configured to work with the RS sliders. Does it STILL not fit properly when ordered like this?

Mine is dented in about an inch or two deep and in the front foot of the tank skid. Is this where the pump is? Is that enough damage to have potentially caused my problem and/or warrant a replacement?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
High Country says you can order it from them configured to work with the RS sliders. Does it STILL not fit properly when ordered like this?

That's new information, and I'm VERY glad to hear of it! If they say it will work, then I don't doubt it. The RS slider config has not changed underneath since production began 2 years ago.

Mine is dented in about an inch or two deep and in the front foot of the tank skid. Is this where the pump is? Is that enough damage to have potentially caused my problem and/or warrant a replacement?

I *think* there are two pick-up points and one fuel pump location, and the float (or sender) is...not sure where actually. I have never seen a tank split open to verify, but it describes the symptoms I've experienced through the 4 tanks I've owned... The pick points are up front, and to the rear sump where the pump is. On one of my tanks, I broke the internal mount where the pump is and it tipped over and you could hear it rattle around. That was not good. On another tank, I deformed it pretty good, and lost about 3 gallons of capacity, and the front pick-up point would gasp on certain angles. Various combination of these events occurred for all of them, even my fourth tank, but that is only slightly trail modified, and I never had any issues with it, other than the float would stick every once in a great while sending crazy readings, but they always self-corrected by adding more fuel.

The photo below shows about the maximum extent you can suffer before screwing something up requiring a new tank:

IMG_6163.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo