Fuel pump problem? Bad design?....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoCalLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....or am I an idiot?

I experienced a very weird problem this past weekend. I parked my car after coming home from a long trip with a fairly empty gas tank. The low fuel light had just come on and it still said I had 40 miles until empty. Granted, I do play "low fuel roulette" on occasion, but have never lost. Anyway, I parked my car in an angled parking space on a hill (6% or so). When in this spot, my driver's side front wheel is the lowest point of the car. So I go to pull out of this spot in the morning and the car starts up fine, but when I go to back out of the spot, the car stalls out and I can't get it started again. I immediately began thinking that maybe the angle of my car and the placement of the fuel pump in the gas tank was causing this. After a few choice expletives, I go get a gas can and fill it up with 2 gallons of gas. The truck still won't start after numerous attempts. At this point, my gas guage is reading about 1/8 of a tank. I decided to go get 2 more gallons of gas. After doing this and the guage reading almost a 1/4 tank, I was able to get it started.

I swear that the low fuel light had JUST come on prior to parking so I'm sure there was at least 2 gallons remaining. In my mind, this shouldn't have happend to a car that is designed to function off-camber.

So....does anyone else think that:

1) I have a problem with my truck that I should have the dealer look at
2) the fuel pump placement in the tank may be poorly designed?
-or-
3) I should be like my mother and never let the gas tank go below 1/2.

If its #3, I may as well start asking for directions, sell the car and buy a Saturn.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo