Front wheel bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm putting new bearings on the left front wheel in another week. Old bearings are worn. The tire tech. showed me when i took the rover for a tire rotation and balance. I'm getting the bearing kit from Atlantic British. Comes with inner,outer bearings and bearing seal. This will be my first time installing bearings. I have a workshop manual and the tools. Do i need any type of grease before i finish the job for the bearings and hub. Any feed-back or pointers will be helpful. 99 disco 1 sd. 125,000

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some guys use a marine type grease, but unless your going in water a lot, and going to service them a lot, I'd just use a quality brand wheel bearing grease.

It's fairly cheap, a pint-size container should do both wheels maybe more.

I use valvoline in a blue can, but there's other good ones too.

luck,greg

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some guys use a marine type grease, but unless your going in water a lot, and going to service them a lot, I'd just use a quality brand wheel bearing grease.

It's fairly cheap, a pint-size container should do both wheels maybe more.

I use valvoline in a blue can, but there's other good ones too.

luck,greg[/QUOT Thanks for the reply

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With your mileage and based on the possible fact you haven't been repacking those bearings, I would suggest you do all four wheels, at least tear them down, clean and repack or replace along with the new seals.
What about your swivel joints, ever service and set the preload on them, it is important.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm putting new bearings on the left front wheel in another week. Old bearings are worn. The tire tech. showed me when i took the rover for a tire rotation and balance. I'm getting the bearing kit from Atlantic British. Comes with inner,outer bearings and bearing seal. This will be my first time installing bearings. I have a workshop manual and the tools. Do i need any type of grease before i finish the job for the bearings and hub. Any feed-back or pointers will be helpful. 99 disco 1 sd. 125,000

I just realized, you said tire tech showed you.

That means he pulled the wheel, snap ring and cap, unbolted the (5) 17mm bolts for axle plate, locknuts(2), and showed you bad bearings?

Or did he wiggle the hub to show you they were loose & needed to be cleaned and serviced? (gease & new seal)

I agree with Mike, tho', it's a good idea to do them all (front and rear) grease & seals.

luck,greg

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only order the seals from AB, or some other Rover parts vendor like DAP, RN, Rovafarm etc, and get the bearings locally.
For the seal use RTC3511 double lip defender seal. I'd get a couple extras in case you screw one up.
For the bearings, use 2 each per hub, Timken SET37, SKF BR37 or *** KIT38.
You can get the bearings locally for about $10-$13 each.
If you want you can order lockplates when you order the seals, but usually they can be reused. But if this is the first time, I'd get 4 in case the ones you have are in bad shape.

For grease any bearing grease for use with disc brakes is fine. Everyone has their own favorite, I use Castrol Pruroplex Blue, NGLI #2

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized, you said tire tech showed you.

That means he pulled the wheel, snap ring and cap, unbolted the (5) 17mm bolts for axle plate, locknuts(2), and showed you bad bearings?

Or did he wiggle the hub to show you they were loose & needed to be cleaned and serviced? (gease & new seal)

I agree with Mike, tho', it's a good idea to do them all (front and rear) grease & seals.

luck,greg

Sorry, i ment to say he wiggled the and the hub was loose. your right greg.

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With your mileage and based on the possible fact you haven't been repacking those bearings, I would suggest you do all four wheels, at least tear them down, clean and repack or replace along with the new seals.
What about your swivel joints, ever service and set the preload on them, it is important.

Mike, can you go in to detail on the swivel joints on how to service them and set the preload on them? Thanks for all your responses and advice guys. You guys rock!!!! 99 disco 1 sd 125,000

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, can you go in to detail on the swivel joints on how to service them and set the preload on them? Thanks for all your responses and advice guys. You guys rock!!!! 99 disco 1 sd 125,000

Did you notice my post on cheap hub socket?

It allows you to properly torque your hub nuts. (1/2" drive)

Also, the swivels are fairly easy to check/service.

Download the rave cd below if you haven't and read about the repairs.

A lot of us have already done this stuff.

luck,greg

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are called Swivel Pins. Download the Rave manual, http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=13&Itemid=29 and read up on it.
It's unlikely, but the loose hub could be the swivel pin preload being too light, if he grabbed the tire at 12 & 6. But if that's what it is, they definitely need rebuilding and not just adjusting, though just adjusting usually doesn't last too long, replacing at least the bearings is a better route to go.
If it were my car I would just tighten the hub nuts correctly and drive it to see if the swivel pins are loose, typically evidenced by the steering wheel jerking back and forth when you hit a bump, until you apply the brakes and/or slow down. If they seem good they you can probably just replace your hub bearings and seals.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge