Dimming lights, dying battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadeTree93'

Reaction score
Hello.
Initial problem is the battery dying if let sit for more than 3 days. I've looked all over for what could be causing the drain but no luck. Found a site that said possibly the cd changer but I have gutted all stereo components so that cant be it. Next, my lights (interior and headlights) would all intermittently dim while driving. I heard it could be the battery cables so I replaces the negative one and sanded all mounting points to create better contact. Now it only dims with RPM drop. (dim while idleing, strong while cruising 2500 rpm or higher)
Any ideas?

93' RRC 150,000 miles

Brand new alternator
Brand new starter
1yr old battery (cheap one. Autolite brand)

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad battery or Alternator.... have it checked at your local autoparts store.

ShadeTree93'

Reaction score
Hmmmm..... That was my thought, just didnt want to admit it considering the batterys pretty new. Guess I'll give it a try.

Thanks

ShadeTree93'

Reaction score
Oh yeah, any recommendations for batteries or is just any standard unit okay?

Also, the battery was replaced while the previous alternator was in place causing me to have to constantly recharge it. Could this have anything to do with the shorter life of the battery?

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
yep, could have killed the battery with a bad Alt... Just about any battery will work there are only a few battery manufactures and they pretty much use the same stuff.

ShadeTree93'

Reaction score
Twas the alternator. Dang thing!!!! It was only 8 mo. old. With the new one in and a new battery, she's purring like a kitten. Tach works, lights are steady, motors strong. Finally!!

This time a got one from autozone with a lifetime warranty. Guess I learnt' my lesson on buying cheap stuff online. :stupid:

ShadeTree93'

Reaction score
And another........
So now the charging sys is working great and for the first couple days it was running really strong, now on startup it sputs and studders and the rpm's drop almost to the point of stalling. After a couple seconds of that it starts to idle okay but theres a heavy smell of fuel. Tonight it stalled as I was pulling into my driveway. Luckily I made it home :confused:

Now what???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM