Cruise works intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
button pushing may have worked

It is too early to say given the intermittent nature of my "Cruise not Available" concern, but since I spent a bit of time a couple of weeks back, rapidly rocking/pushing both the cruise buttons, I have not again seen the problem - well perhaps it will show today, but not so to date since exercising the buttons. It would be nice is this was another of the no cost fixes one can add to list of solutions to problems that should not be.

I appreciate your comment with regards to a new battery - the 3 really is sensitive to a weak battery - all can be well, but a battery on the way out can create all sorts of both real and false havoc.

FloridaLR3

Reaction score
bbyer np I just remembered when my cruise control was on the blink going in and out . then a week later battery died. the good news was to get rid of the interstate battery and update to a better sealed battery.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better battery?

I would say that I am an Interstate fan, at least for the 3 as I do not know what would be more suitable.

It is not so much as there are not better made batteries out there, it is just that I think keeping to the **** style of battery construction matters with regards to the rather temperamental charging system of the 3.

I say temperamental, as it seems the internal regulator within the Denso alternator and the engine computer that instructs the regulator are biased towards the peculiarities of the **** style battery.

As such, I wondered what brand or style of battery you regarded as working better?

I would also be the first to say that the **** battery, Interstate or otherwise, never did charge that well on the 3, hence there must be something better but ...

My "solution" is the Traxide dual battery install with two Interstates.

http://www. disco3. co. uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3738

Cut and paste and remove the spaces from the link above to access the files.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned a Deca something-or-other as being a good one for the LR3.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, East Penn Manufacturing in PA.

I expect it was I who mentioned the Made in USA Deka branded battery. Deka is one of the marketing brand names of the East Penn Manufacturing Company located at Leon Station in Pennsylvania.

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/applications/automotive/

www.eastpennmanufacturing.com

East Penn makes a very good **** battery that is suitable for the 3. My first Aux battery was a Deka 640 RMF but when I recently had to replace it, there was an inventory concern at the Deka shop for an H5 while the local Interstate factory outlet had a suitable H5 immediately available. When I say suitable, it was a **** but for "styling/marketing" reasons, the top of their battery is now green, not black.

I still think a for real serious battery should be black, but fortunately, the LR cover still fits, so the not LR green colour, is hidden from view.

http://www.disco3 .co .uk /gallery/albums/userpics/15405/wiki1_Aux%20Battery%20vent%208.jpg

Cut and paste and remove the spaces from the link above to access the files.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR3 will turn cruise control off on the highway if the anti roll over thing kicks in, and I wont have cruise for a minute or so after, I have BF Goodrich MT tires and over 55 (speed limit 75) on the hill down from Camp Verde will get it all loose on the road. And getting off from the I40 onto Milton rd (in flagstaff, dont expect everyone to know this turn) my LR3 throws a fit if i'm going over 20 (speed limit 45), so maybe if you have MT tires and a lift (and a roof rack with light bars and giant dild* shaped antenna and giant radio thing in back) that may be the reason cruise is unavailable.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel alignment?

Rather than the tyres, I am wondering if you perhaps have a wheel alignment concern?

By wheel, I am referring to the steering wheel rather than the four round things surrounded by the MT's.

If the steering wheel is not sitting at near 12 o'clock, then after some distance at speed on near straight roads, the yaw sensors pick up via the steering wheel sensor that the steering wheel is pointing one direction and the vehicle is traveling a somewhat different trajectory.

The response of the safety computers can be to put the 3 in safe mode, but knocking the cruise off would be a first step.

The bottom line is all four wheels have to be in alignment and the steering wheel has to also be positioned properly.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks bbyer, the wheels were aligned last month, I think in my case it's speed and soft tires, on a combination of steep curvy hill.

I did not think of the alignment issue relating to the op question, but it makes sense, would probrably be a good idea to pull all codes from the 3 to see what's going on.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe no codes

If codes even exist for what is I suppose perceived to be a yaw concern, I do not know if codes would even be generated. The system may just think there is no fault - the computers are just doing what they are supposed to be doing.

When all is perfect, if the anti skid system were to be activated, there would not be any code generated saying that the system functioned as it was designed to do so. This would be true of any other system that was perceived to be working as it should.

Troubleshooting is never easy in a 3.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635