Cooper Zeon LTZ on LR3 - cracking sidewalls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srownin

Reaction score
Hey guys,

About three years ago I needed new tires for my LR3 and ended up with the Cooper Zeon LTZs.

I have noticed slight cracking in the sidewall, coming up from the tread, any time they were low on air (which seems to happen quite often).

I had asked my local dealer about this and they always told me it was just cosmetic and not to worry.

I just took the car back to another location of the same chain as one of the tires dropped from 40 to 27 psi over a week or so. This has been the typical loss rate when one of the tires needed a check in the past. This time they pointed out that 3 of 4 tires had substantial cracking in the sidewalls. The 4 is a newer tire that had to be replaced from a screw that went into the sidewall and couldn't be fixed.

So, it seems that all 3 of the original Coopers are showing the same problem. I can only wonder if the 4th will eventually too.

Question is this... has anyone else experienced this too? Is this a defect with my tires specifically? I have not been very impressed with Cooper's service (or the ability to get in touch with them). They want me to go through the dealer. Problem is, my dealer doesn't normally sell Coopers and I made them get them rather than lose my business to another shop. They are not very willing to handle this as they would with other brands that they typically stock.

I am in the process of gathering all of the required information for Cooper (purchase receipts, service docs, ID#s, etc.). In the inerim, I really would like to know if there is a safety issue. I can certainly post pictures of the cracking if anyone is willing to take a look.

Also, I had been thinking of the Nittos 3 years back as an alternate. Now I am really thinking of asking Cooper to refund my money and going in that direction instead.

I have never had this much trouble with tires before and have barely even used them for their real purpose off the highway. Seems like something is really wrong with them.

Any help, guidance or advice is really appreciated. This car carries my wife and kids daily and I am beginning to get really concerned.

SR

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do recall some other posts about cracking with these tyres - you may need to search some of the other LR boards though through Google. I went with Hankooks in the end because I couldn't get to the bottom of conflicting reports. I am sure if you send them photos of the problem and hint at a massive lawsuit should they fail despite the claim that "all is well" that will get someone's attention....

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on above.

I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on both my vehicles and I highly recommend them.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running the Terra Grapplers on 18" wheeels? Many of us with the 19" wheels went with the Coopers simply because they were available in the correct 19" size. I will have to check my Coopers for cracks when I do the winter tire changeover.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ I will check mine too this weekend after winter switchover too

xray132

Reaction score
here's mine

They were quiet, surprisingly good traction, and I got 45K on them. This one split out below the tread on the sidewall

Attachments

• sidewall damage cooper.jpg
    sidewall damage cooper.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 57

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running the Terra Grapplers on 18" wheeels? Many of us with the 19" wheels went with the Coopers simply because they were available in the correct 19" size. I will have to check my Coopers for cracks when I do the winter tire changeover.

I forgot to mention that...I'm using the 18's.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last Summer, I had 5 tires replaced by Cooper, through America's Tire. I had bought the tire warranty. They contacted Cooper who had to send new tires to the tire dealer. It is a problem that they had a couple of years ago with a run of tires from what I can tell. The only cost I had was to purchase a new extended warranty for each tire, the total cost around $125 or so. If you get some resistance from your tire dealer, ask them to contact the Cooper rep. I did have around 35k miles at the time on the tires, but I had multiple flats from tire failure at the cracking.

srownin

Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for all of the input. Cooper is sending me new tires (not here yet, so fingers crossed) and covering the mounting and balancing. The dealer (Town Fair Tire for those in the Northeast) should never be trusted.

1. They told me it was a cosmetic problem and I shouldn't worry.
2. They told me that if the tires had ever been serviced (patched or anything else) Cooper wouldn't cover them.
3. They told Cooper (when they called on my behalf) that it was from a road hazard. They called Cooper again and the same F#@$# told them it was from weather damage. Weather damage! Meanwhile, the same guy told me Cooper wouldn't cover it - failed to mentioned it was because he was telling them this ****.
4. Same guy told me he went to bat for me and was able to get me 50% off retail (230) on replacements even though I only paid 160 for them new. So, I could have the privelege of buying new tires from him for 115 each, and paying for mounting and balancing.

Needless to say, I will never go back to any Town Fair Tire locations again in my life. Except to tell this F#@%# off.

Cooper, once I explained that I had the problem on 3 of 4 tires (all but the one replaced more recently from an actual road hazard) and they then saw the notes with conflicting information from the dealer, agreed to replace them and cover the mounting and balancing, according to the warranty.

I am hoping this was a bad batch - as most who have had the issue mine were made in 2009/2010 also, that seems likely. New (trustworthy) dealer said this is from dry rot and they should be replaced without issue.

Oh, and if you have any thoughts that Town Fair is actually competent... when I had the road hazard that caused me to replace the single tire a year ago - a screw in the sidewall - they replace the wrong tire and sent me on my way with the screw still in. When I went back, they tried to sell me another replacement.

Sorry, had to vent. Hope they lose some business if anyone else in NE sees this.

SR

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Is there an update on these tires regarding the sidewall cracking? Is this still an issue or just from a batch in the past?

I'm considering these at end of year.. thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635