Brake pad wear sensor problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
set / unset procedure for rears

In theory, the light goes amber for brake pad wear but mine went red as well. In itself, red infers low brake fluid level but I took it to mean that the pads were worn and that a more than normal amount of brake fluid was required to actuate the worn pads and hence the fluid level in the reservoir drops when the brake petal is actuated.

With the dealer, figure about $500 per corner; that "gives" new rotors and pads plus sensors. While that seems high, I would suggest that you change everything but suggest you may not wish to use the dealer and definitely not a "muffler" shop. If cost is a concern, find an independent who understands Ford products,- (no one understands Land Rover).

As you will read in the Brake Bible below, doing the rears requires more than routine knowledge due to the set unset procedure required.

Below is a link to Bodsy's Brake Bible where all is unveiled.

http://www.bit.ly/12OMluD

Download the latest version; v1.6a. As of when I last looked, there has been over 10,800 views/downloads of his free 36 page pdf.

The black art part is probably towards the end, (page 27/36 and following), re the electronic parking brake.

Rather than perhaps black art stuff, it may better be called leading edge, or maybe bleeding); also the set and unset procedure applies when doing just a normal rear pad change.

If you ignore the set unset procedure, then a few miles down the road, the squealing will almost assuredly start.

The good news is the fronts are more normal, but the rears, not so!

In total, for the vehicle, you actually have three pair of brake assemblies to deal with: (1), the front pair of rotors, and pads, (2), the rear pair of rotors and pads, and then (3), the parking brake pair of drums and shoes – yes, drums and shoes sitting behind/inside the rear rotors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99