Brake noise post-install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shrinkboy

Reaction score
Having culled the collective wisdom of this forum, I put the slotted EBC rotors and yellow stuff pads on my 2011 LR4 last weekend.

Break-in feels largely done (three days of around town and freeway miles) and modulation and power is great; seems to have less of an initial bounce-your-head-off-the-dashboard bite and better modulation.

Only questionable item is noise when letting up off the brakes, as when you're rolling forward 20 feet at a stop sign. Initial stop is quiet, subsequent feathering makes noise intermittently.

Rear pads were adhered to the outside caliper arm, which I did not do... pads came with shims on them already and I'm out of ideas as to what causes it to make noise like that. Any tricks?

shrinkboy

Reaction score
EBC got back to me - they don't start troubleshooting noise until 1,000 miles of break-in, then they have you start with carefully applying (or re-applying) the lube to the pistons and slots. I'll let it ride for another 900 miles and see how things go.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EBC got back to me - they don't start troubleshooting noise until 1,000 miles of break-in, then they have you start with carefully applying (or re-applying) the lube to the pistons and slots. I'll let it ride for another 900 miles and see how things go.

I was going to chime in as I wondered if you lubed the back of the pad. :hello:

shrinkboy

Reaction score
Strangely, they (EBC) say it's not needed:

"Anti-sieze isn’t typically needed on the back of the pads as long as they have shims on them. Usually any noise that is present after installation, goes away after 500-1000 miles of use. Hence we don’t recommend diagnosing noise with new pads as it usually goes away on it’s own.

If after 1000 miles you are still hearing the same noise we would recommend inspecting the pads for a free movement in the caliper bracket and caliper slide pins for free movement, and go from there."

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strangely, they (EBC) say it's not needed:

"Anti-sieze isn’t typically needed on the back of the pads as long as they have shims on them. Usually any noise that is present after installation, goes away after 500-1000 miles of use. Hence we don’t recommend diagnosing noise with new pads as it usually goes away on it’s own.

If after 1000 miles you are still hearing the same noise we would recommend inspecting the pads for a free movement in the caliper bracket and caliper slide pins for free movement, and go from there."

Interesting. The only brakes I don't use anti seize on is my Brembo GT calipers but its because I'm changing from race to street pads often.

Give it some time and report back! :hello:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4