big problem, inspection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey,me once again. had my rover for a week now yesterday. love it. please help me not hate it. its a 96 discovery sd 171,000 mi. and failed inspection today. my first inspection and it failed. no check engine light.only a abs light. and i had the dyignostic run on it, no codes. but i can say on the fail receipt it failed for-
obd monitor readiness status:
catalyst: not ready
oxygen sensor: not ready
oxygen sensor heater: not ready

so what can i do to fix it?it runs great its my favorite truck/car anything ive ever owned, by that i mean truck but you know. please help me.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
ABS light, will always be on until you drive and reach 5 mph... or just pull the bulb out.

If it had not check engine light how in the world are they saying it failed for anything. That is insane. Trust me if those items were not ready or not working you would have several codes.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey,me once again. had my rover for a week now yesterday. love it. please help me not hate it. its a 96 discovery sd 171,000 mi. and failed inspection today. my first inspection and it failed. no check engine light.only a abs light. and i had the dyignostic run on it, no codes. but i can say on the fail receipt it failed for-
obd monitor readiness status:
catalyst: not ready
oxygen sensor: not ready
oxygen sensor heater: not ready

so what can i do to fix it?it runs great its my favorite truck/car anything ive ever owned, by that i mean truck but you know. please help me.

Hmmmm- My guess is the ECU got a heads up on an oxygen sensor heater circuit (shorted heater wire?) only once. If the ECU sees it again after multiple starts it would threw a code & turn on the "I hate you" light.

Or the light's burned out

Joey's correct re: the abs light. & It could be simple if it's on always - these trucks don't like old fluid,air in lines, hub sensors with too much clearance, etc
Or it could be a more serious issue. (Modulator)

My ABS works fine, my lights been on more than 2yrs.
(Illinois only inspects for emissions)
luck,greg

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the abs isnt why it failed.and my liabs light is always on. what should i do about the obd monitor readiness? thats what failed for the catalyst :not ready , oxygen sensor: not ready., and oxygen sensor heater: not ready. what do i have to do to fix those problems? or is there a special procedure that needs to be followed for the obd readiness?

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the abs isnt why it failed.and my liabs light is always on. what should i do about the obd monitor readiness? thats what failed for the catalyst :not ready , oxygen sensor: not ready., and oxygen sensor heater: not ready. what do i have to do to fix those problems? or is there a special procedure that needs to be followed for the obd readiness?

I'm puzzled that your check engine light is not on, but my guess is that one of your O2 sensors heater wires (they each have 4 wires to them) has either broken or shorted.
The poopy part is it might be an intermittent fault.

This causing the sensor to be "not ready" if it's not ready then the engine doesn't know if the cat works.
The cat is stupid, the O2 sensors before & after each cat tell the ECU if they're working

I don't know which of (4) O2 sensors it is from what you've indicated, so I'd inspect ALL the wiring to them - Including the plug connections (unplug, look, replug) etc.

Look for abrasions, breaks, melted insulation, etc.

The o2 sensors can be had for as little as $40 ea. but you'll have to reuse your old connectors. and it might or might not be the sensor itself, although if those are original, it could very well be. My understanding is they are only good for about 80k mi.
(mine went bad @ 75k)

luck,greg

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
ABS light always on is normally an ABS Sensor.

The readiness test... how long was then engine off when they attempted the test? If the engine was off when they did the test, O2 sensors will never show ready. If it had been sitting in the parking lot and not running for a while and they didn't let it idle this may be the issue, or then let it run too long, in which case the heater element may shut off since it is only need for the first few minutes of run time IIRC.

clydon

Reaction score
i had a very similar problem on my 97 disco. it never passed inspection the whole time i owned it. initially it was due to oxygen sensor codes, after about a year bit the bullet and replaced my o2 sensors, a couple thousand dollars later still didnt pass inspection. i then got catalytic converter codes, i gave up on my 97 and traded it in for an 04. My check engine light also never came on, either it was disconnected at some point or just didn't work.

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found out it apears the 2 front o2 sensors are bad. one is real bad the other is reading but not reading great so im gunna replace the front 2. what part number and where is a good place to get them?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would call Nathan at www.discountbritishparts.com He will know the part number and should be able to get you a good price. Unless you like to solder, then you can buy aftermarkets.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found out it apears the 2 front o2 sensors are bad. one is real bad the other is reading but not reading great so im gunna replace the front 2. what part number and where is a good place to get them?

In all honesty, I'd replace all (4)

Do what joey says, to be safe or if you want to solder & shrinktube, get your vin# (there may have been a midyear change)

I did search for '96 o2 sensors and found them as low as $19.98 @ partstrain.

(2) years ago I put in $45 ntk's (soldered old connectors) on for a jaguar xj8

If I were on a really tight budget, I might try the $20, understanding they may not be the cheapest in the long run.

Whatever, use antiseize on the threads.

luck,greg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink