alzerom introduction - Pan American Highway trip is planned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Raleigh, 64 years old retired and finances are in order.

I have decided to solo the Pan American Highway. I want to make the trip in the best possible vehicle. My first choice by reputation is Land Rover but I have just purchase my first this week. I need help in deciding the best model and preparations. Destination Austral Highway in Chile and finally Tierra del Fuego (with a little back tracking.)
I have driven the Alcan Highway 11 times and multiple trips around the US, Mexico and Canada, (in standard automobiles.)

I purchased a 1997 Discovery SD with 215,000+ miles. I want to redo it completely for the trip, so it's guaranteed to go the distance.

If this is the wrong year or model, suggestions are sought. I can easily afford the change to the 'correct model'. Make suggestions!

I won't be off-roading. I'll stay on the roads, but some of the roads can get wet muddy and treacherous. The trip is actually only 30,000 plus miles.

A lot of Pan-American trips have been previously and currently blogged on the net. I see mistakes with vehicle choices, and the manner in which they are loaded and driven. There are a lot of breakdowns.

I'll be converting it into a lightweight mini camper.

Callsign ALØM at QRZ.com
CQ DX
Thanks from David

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... I see from your other post you are getting good advise... if it were me, I would get rid of the petrol engine... rebuild and have spares of everything else...

MuletCRCR

Reaction score
Whatever you need in Peru

Hello David,

Fell free to contact me while you are in Peru for anything, from housing to repair (and of course some beers). I'll email you with my details.

Regards,
Alfredo

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo