Aftermarket hid/xenon headlights for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the right side isnt firing up when the temp is below 40. i'd have to let the car warm up a bit after a drive, and then switch on the light to fire up the ballast. if i left it on auto mode and it tries to fire during a cold start up, i'd have to restart the car after it's warm in order to fire it up. i think it's due to a lack of juice going to that side during a cold start up. never had a problem with my other cars with the same kit before. i didnt even bother with the relay kit with those cars either. so i have 2 options i want to try:
1. up the amp on the fuse from 10w to 15w. but hesitant as this might overload the stock harness.
2. install the relay kit.

i know those of you in warmer areas with this kit wont have this issue. :/
Ah yes... Now I remember you had some trouble with the bulb firing up when it gets cold outside. It definitely sounds like you want to try the relay kit, but I am not sure where you would ground it?

This does suck - you are right, we don't have that problem in CA.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the kit probably does work well in the north and northeast where the temps range well below 40 degrees in the winter months.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the kit probably does work well in the north and northeast where the temps range well below 40 degrees in the winter months.

the kit comes with a relay cable. I've just installed it, pretty easy job. waiting for a cold day to test out the theory. will report back with findings.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the kit comes with a relay cable. I've just installed it, pretty easy job. waiting for a cold day to test out the theory. will report back with findings.
I am very curious to hear if that extra juice helps! Good luck.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very curious to hear if that extra juice helps! Good luck.

stock fuse for the headlights is 5w. after changing it to 10w it still didnt fire up the ballasts during cold weather. i didnt want to bump it up any higher as that might prove to be too much for the stock harness. installing the relay kit seems to have fixed the problem. per research, hid kits require 15w to fire up properly. strangely, i've never had this problem with other cars... i still havent had a cold day yet to try it out. last night was 41 degrees and it fired up fine from cold start. we are expecting cooler weather this weekend so i'll give that a go.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions, appreciate all your help.

Is the relay part of the normal installation instructions, or something special that you did with the install?

Thanks again!

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions, appreciate all your help.

Is the relay part of the normal installation instructions, or something special that you did with the install?

Thanks again!

It's a part of the ddm kit.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the DDM 6000k 35 watt kit for my Low Beams (H11), Philips CV's for my fog lights, and Putco 194 LEDs for my corner lights. Can't wait to get rid of the factory yellow look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink