Advice needed: 06 LR3, 80k miles - extended warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR3 has 80k miles and there are some items I think I'll have to address soon, and wonder if it's better to get an extended warranty to cover me for the unknowns.

Right now, I think I'm going to have to address a 'whisper' that's starting in the exhaust, somewhere towards the middle of the system, front lower control arms, maybe the rears, maybe the bushings on the rear sway bar. Also about half of the lug nut caps are loose and those will have to be replaced. Lastly, the windshield cowl is starting to buckle in areas, letting water in on heavy rain days.

What do you think - should I bite the bullet and go for the extended warranty? Do these also cover brakes and rotors? Also, do the warranties generally only cover up to 100k miles? I think overall I'm also wondering if it's time to cut the losses and think about upgrading to a more recent model with fewer miles. I know a lot of this is subjective but I'd love to get the feedback from this experienced group - this is my first Landy and I love it but don't want to make it my life's work sitting in a dealer's waiting area.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most warranties are going to exclude "wear and tear" items so there goes your brake pads and rotors. And a blowing exhaust (if that's what it is). Depending on the policy wording, bushings may also come under "wear and tear". In which case you'll be paying several thousand for bills which aren't going to be that much if you find a good independent Rover shop....

At the end of the day, warranty companies aren't interested in being a benevolent fairy godmother for Land Rover owners, they are in it for the cash - whatever premium money they can hang on to makes them happy. This starts with saying "computer says no..."

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same question when we decided to keep the LR3 and sell my allroad. We ordered a new LR4 and planned to trade-in our LR3. But the LR3 was worth $18K at trade-in and I could sell my 2004 allroad for $12K. So now we have an LR3 & LR4.

Anyway - I decided it was better to put the warranty money into the LR3 directly. Too many exclusions/deductibles and fine print in the warranty I looked at. And the big cost items like the LR3 engine & transmission seem to be reliable for the life of the vehicle.

I need to replace our plastic cowl too - here is where to get it:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/JAG500042PMAG.cfm

I think you need some sort of gear puller to remove the wipers to install the new cowl. I'm going to see if the glass shop that replaced our LR3 windshield can help before I pay the dealer to install it.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extended warranties can very much be hit or miss.

The small things(such as lug nuts) and any sort of wear or rubber items will not be covered. The fine print is where you need to really read. Some of them(Ford ESP is the best I've ever dealt with) are actually very good, and if you suffer from a major failure(such as a differential, or a transmission leak, or lower control arms, or compressor, EAS or AC) the warranty would probably pay for itself eventually.

Some warranties try harder to not pay, for example, I dealt with one not too long ago that would not cover the repair to fix the leak from the transmission sleeve, but if it were to leak out enough that the transmission fails while still covered, that repair would be covered.

Some will not cover miscellaneous components, for example, lower control arms. The repair and parts for the arms would be covered, but the hardware(new bolts and washers) and the alignment that is needed afterwards, are not covered. That alone adds up to ~ $200 out of pocket, even with the warranty covering the repair, and not including any deductible.

I personally do recommend having one, but having a good one, and further more, a good shop that will somewhat fight for the repairs and not just accept them saying no, and pass the expense back to the customer.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave above is spot on and would know best.

I have the Ford ESP and it is great....yes, none will cover wear and tear. I had the rear diff, MAF sensor, front control arms replaced at $100 deductible. The dealer did an alignmet after replacing control arms in which the warranty covered too.

At 80k, its worth checking prices.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul - I just ordered the windshield cowl. I think I remember reading here that someone did the replacement without any special tools. If you learn anything from your windshield guy, can you post back here?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have another idea- check with Atlantic British. They may have a PDF or instructions on how to install that plastic cowl.

I probably won't change mine until after winter. It's not warped or leaking yet, just badly faded and ugly. (Despite numerous coats of Aerospace 303 protectant)

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the Extended Warranty section on this site. I went with the Ford PremiumCare ESP once my Factory Warranty expired. I've had great success using. Just got the LR3 back on Monday from the dealership where I got about $3k of work done, covered by the warranty. Bushings were included on the repair along with a bunch of items. Long story short its saved me a ton of $$$$ so far. My extended warranty has almost paid for itself. So, I think they're worth it, especially on these vehicles, but on a 2006 LR3 with 80k miles you'll have to see what the price-break advantage is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635