97 Disco - locked in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1sparrow

Reaction score
I believe the problem is the foot brake lockout. Do I access from underneath or through the consol. thanks for any advise.

FFNPMcD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Underneath on the peddle itself...
the break will have two switches.. on my 96 disco the first I came to is the cruise control release.. next up was the break switch.
If yours is different it will be easy to tell... the cruise switch has more lines going to it in addition to an air hose.//

Removal of the switch had me a little baffled... While it appears easy there is a trick to it.
DSC00777340.jpg

The white piece you see will be in the body of the switch.. it locks the switch in place
You have to press the break and slide this back up to be able to release the locks..

Neill

1sparrow

Reaction score
thanks so much Neill.
Would like to disable this system, I remember when people were responsible enough to step on brake before engaging transmission.

Dennis

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
This switch is also the brake light switch... if you disable, your brake lights will not work.

FFNPMcD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad I could finally help someone else... usually I'm on the other end receiving the information.

Check the net for prices on the switch .. the dealer will charge an arm and a leg... the dealer also indicated they break fairly regularly so you should keep a spare in your glove box.. If only they were made of something other than plastic,

1sparrow

Reaction score
Could not locate brake lite switch on stock local. Next day best price Auto Zone 24.95. To get use of the Rover untill part arives, remove plug from switch . It is a four pin switch, make a jumper wire and plug into the two on the flat side of the plug. ( left side installed ) Turn the key on and take out of park, turn off . Remove jumper wire and reinstall plug on switch for brake lites.Good to go, BUT if you put in park --- just anothe jump. If you jump the wrong two wires the brake lites will lite, not to worry.

FFNPMcD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good price when you consider the dealer wants almost 70...
But then I guess it is a critical part making the vehicle unusable
(unless you are willing to jump it and fool it)
.. so they have you over a barrel..

Neill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4