96 Disco Power Seat Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dishsoap1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

96 disco with power seats. My buddy broke the top switch on the passenger seat control a while back. The switch that controls putting the seat back for a nap. With the broken switch, I would just put an allen wrench in and I could get it to go up and down. One day I was doing that and the interior light dimmed for a second and the seat stopped moving up or down. The lower switch still works, just not the top switch. I replaced the switch and it still will not work. I checked all of my fuses under the steering wheel and they all are fine. Are there any fuses under the power seats on a series one Discovery? If not, where should I look for a problem? Thanks

dishsoap1

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say your allen wrench trick shorted out the wires right there at the switch you were manipulating. The dimming of the lights was the power surge that went through the shorted switch, which in turn burned out the switch or wire to the seat. It's interesting the fuse didn't blow, but that's been known to happen. Matter of fact, check to see if the fuse is the correct Amp rating, someone could have put in a higher rated fuse. Replace the fuse with the correctly rated type. You are probably lucky. Suggest, check the voltage at the switch and trace the voltage back to the fuse box. Somewhere along that route you will find the "smoked" item.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635