2012 lr4 ipod cable info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see this posted elsewhere so I figured it could be helpful especially to people planning on buying a 2012. My salesman told me that he would "try" to throw in the ipod cable. Before buying my 2012, I was looking at a 2011. I noticed right away the difference in connector style between the two years. The 2011 has what looked like a 30pin type while the 2012 is the standard usb connection just like you'd find on your computer. When I got home, I took the cable that my ipod came with, plugged it into the truck and it works just as it should. Full control on my nav screen and it charges the ipod just fine.

The reason I point this out is that the dealer normally sells this cable for $80 bucks. Don't get taken! Either use the one that came with your ipod or buy one online for far, far less. Like $5 to $18 depending on where you buy. I haven't looked into if you can buy the 2011 cord just as cheap but I wouldn't be surprised.

I hope this helps some of you!

72offsuit

Reaction score
I didn't see this posted elsewhere so I figured it could be helpful especially to people planning on buying a 2012. My salesman told me that he would "try" to throw in the ipod cable. Before buying my 2012, I was looking at a 2011. I noticed right away the difference in connector style between the two years. The 2011 has what looked like a 30pin type while the 2012 is the standard usb connection just like you'd find on your computer. When I got home, I took the cable that my ipod came with, plugged it into the truck and it works just as it should. Full control on my nav screen and it charges the ipod just fine.

The reason I point this out is that the dealer normally sells this cable for $80 bucks. Don't get taken! Either use the one that came with your ipod or buy one online for far, far less. Like $5 to $18 depending on where you buy. I haven't looked into if you can buy the 2011 cord just as cheap but I wouldn't be surprised.

I hope this helps some of you!

No need for "special" cable with 2012 just plug and play with standard USB iPod cable. Gee another LR salesman that does not know the product they are selling, shocking, lol.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just connected an iPhone 4S via USB to a 2011 LR4 HSE. While the iPhone seemed to detect that it was connected to something (vibration) it was not charging.

I selected USB on the display and saw nothing. Selected "tracks" and was presented with a "loading tracks please wait" menu. This went on for 15 minutes. I'm not sure if I should have waited longer but I terminated the experiment. This particular iPhone only has around 100 songs and no video so I can't imagine what would take so long and assumed it was just a system freeze/

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just connected an iPhone 4S via USB to a 2011 LR4 HSE. While the iPhone seemed to detect that it was connected to something (vibration) it was not charging.

I selected USB on the display and saw nothing. Selected "tracks" and was presented with a "loading tracks please wait" menu. This went on for 15 minutes. I'm not sure if I should have waited longer but I terminated the experiment. This particular iPhone only has around 100 songs and no video so I can't imagine what would take so long and assumed it was just a system freeze/

If you want iPod integration for the 2010 or 2011 LR4, the special iPod cable is required. The standard USB/iPod cable that came with your iPod/iPhone will not work. The proprietary iPod cable came free with the 2010, but not with the 2011. I bought mine for $75 from BP Utah.

It sounds like this special cable is no longer necessary for the 2012 LR4.

72offsuit

Reaction score
If you want iPod integration for the 2010 or 2011 LR4, the special iPod cable is required. The standard USB/iPod cable that came with your iPod/iPhone will not work. The proprietary iPod cable came free with the 2010, but not with the 2011. I bought mine for $75 from BP Utah.

It sounds like this special cable is no longer necessary for the 2012 LR4.

It is not.

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. I want to make it very clear that my post was for the 2012 lr4 only. For 2011, I have not looked for a cable that is super cheap compared to dealer prices. I have a feeling they are out there though. Maybe I'll dig around and see what I find in order to help others out. I'll post it up if I do.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. I want to make it very clear that my post was for the 2012 lr4 only. For 2011, I have not looked for a cable that is super cheap compared to dealer prices. I have a feeling they are out there though. Maybe I'll dig around and see what I find in order to help others out. I'll post it up if I do.

You were totally clear on the year. Us 2011 owners just got all hopeful that maybe, just maybe we missed something and it would work over USB. Glad to see that they're paying attention to the little things and incorporating them into the 12.

Thanks,

Marty

Coop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone on this thread is interested in the OEM LR Ipod cable (previously in my 2011 LR4) let me know. I have one that I will sell for $50 + shipping.
I know that this thread was focused on the 2012 model year but just in case anyone is interested, I thought that I would ask.
thanks,
Chris

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo