1999 2.5 P38 - Overheating Problem -Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N

nedkelly

The Plot Thickens

OK.
I took a trip to the land rover garage - which i assume is run as a franchise. more on that later.

They did not perform any chemical test prior to removing the head. It appears that there is no damage to the head - although this will be tested next week. There is damage to one of the Bolt holes - which may well have been done by the garage. The reason the garage is now claiming that a new engine is required is because it is impossible to use a helicoil (or similar) to replace the damaged bolt thread. Thats right. One damaged bolt thread (in the middle of the block) and they are suggesting that the only remedy is a new (reconditioned) engine.

After some delicate negotiations with a lawyer here in Spain and the Ex owner of the vehicle - we have now decided to:

1) Take the car from the 'official' dealer to an engineer
2) Crack Test the head
3) Helicoil the damaged bolt hole
4) Check for any other damage to the engine
5) New Gasket, New Radiator

I will pay 25% of the repairs. Spanish Law allows me to claim all costs, replacement or return of my money for 1 YEAR - under a law in the Civil Code which caters for 'Hidden Problems'

Now back to the dealer. I get the feeling (from the youthful mechanics) that these guys are in a habit of replacing old for new - very little repairing is done as any future issues can be deferred to Land Rover directly. After all, if it weren't for this attitude - why is there a thriving 'non official' mechanical industry. To replace an entire engine due to 1 thread in the block needing a helicoil seems to be a scam at best. If these guys are running as a franchise then their motivation is no risk profit. sure they can do the diagnostics... but dont ask them to do any engineering as it is far more risky than replacing old for new - and turning to the manufacturer if it all goes to ****.

Anyone have any experience with Helicoils. Are they able to withstand the pressure and temperature of a car engine.

Am i talking out of my exhaust pipe?

:albertein

Last edited by a moderator:

jack

Reaction score
I do not think it your head gasket , Yes you should see your oil milky or a light brown color if its your head or gasket. I have replaced mine and shaved the heads because i did blow the gasket and warped the heads. I also replaced my termo stat and rad hoses and heater core hoses. And I still have the same problem your having. If you fix yours please let me know what you find and i will do the same. Thanks

jack

Reaction score
Yes i would like to know what they found wrong also I have the same problem please reply if you find out anything

jack

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Turned out to be a bad expansion tank cap. It wasn't holding pressure, which would result in coolant shooting out of the tank when pressure would build up. US$25 did the trick. Good luck..

scott I am having the same problem how can I check the cap without buying a new one first?

docstrange

Reaction score
Hello all -
I would like to hear from someone who may be able to suggest where to look next re my p38 overheating issue.
The Thermostat has been replaced and we have cleaned out a clogged Radiator - which i am told is now working to 95% of its capacity (5 pipes remain blocked).

Short distances are no problem - even recently a 300km round trip (just after work was done) - no problems.

But now, it seems that pressure builds up and coolant is expelled from the header tank - and it appears (or feels) like there is no coolant remaining in the pipes coming from the top of the radiator. As soon as the temp starts rising i stop the car - wait & ensure that there is coolant in the system - then it runs again - until once again the pressure appears to build up and once again the header tank is full / overflowing.

No cloudy oil - so i assume ( or hope) that this is not a gasket issue.

Where else can i look. This is driving me insane - I am in Spain and cant have an overheating RR during summer. Could this be an airpocket in the radiator?)
:mad::mad::mad::

Im having the same issue im changing the water pump on monday and am wondering whats a fair price on a head gasket job just in case thats the problem?

jack

Reaction score
Over heating problems

I had the same issue. Turned out to be a bad expansion tank cap. It wasn't holding pressure, which would result in coolant shooting out of the tank when pressure would build up. US$25 did the trick. Good luck..

Scott I have the same problem is there a way of checking the expansion tank cap without buying the new one first? I have been spending alot without any results. Maybe mine is alittle different , It blew the bottom rad hose once and after replacing every thing the pressure bulit up and swelled up my heater core hose. After replacing them it now boiling out the expansion tank. Any other suggestions?

jack

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why the oil has NOT gone cloudy. I understood that if the gasket had gone then there are water deposits which can be seen on the dipstick - and / or the oil goes cloudy. Neither of which is true in my case. I have had this :mad: car for 6 weeks and it has spent most of the time getting repaired. Time to draw the line in the sand ... :stupid:

nedkelly did you ever find out what the problem was? Because I have simular problems

docstrange

Reaction score
im having same problem. new radiator new water pump head gasket job o rings replaced thermostats and still over heating? 02 p38 . any suggestions im open please.

jack

Reaction score
Scott I have the same problem is there a way of checking the expansion tank cap without buying the new one first? I have been spending alot without any results. Maybe mine is alittle different , It blew the bottom rad hose once and after replacing every thing the pressure bulit up and swelled up my heater core hose. After replacing them it now boiling out the expansion tank. Any other suggestions?

I kept bleeding the radiator and so for its working . there was alot air in it and it alot of time before I got all the air out . I hope this might help you

jack

Reaction score
im having same problem. new radiator new water pump head gasket job o rings replaced thermostats and still over heating? 02 p38 . any suggestions im open please.

Try bleeding your radiator more . I had to do this several times until I got all the air out but seems to be working now. i hope this helps

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM