steering clunk: upper U-Joint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm chasing a clunk in the steering, it happens when going over washboard while the car is going straight - if I am steering it doesn't tend to happen, indicating something has play. The tie rods are new, the lower steering shaft is new, control arms are new. Is the upper U-Joint at the steering column field replaceable (what the workshop manual calls the swing yoke)? Are there other places I should look at that can develop play? I haven't yet checked the bolt from the upper steering shaft to the swing yoke, will try to do that soon. Can the rack itself develop play, and is it adjustable?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the ball joints and tie rods? I have steering clunks on rough roads, but the noise is in the inside of the cab. The steering column sounds loose asf. I have a lot of faith in the mechanism that maybe I shouldn't have lol.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ball joints, tie rods, control arms, lower steering shaft are all new. Slowly moving up the steering column, next stop is inside the cab... And it does sound like it's coming from inside, not outside.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My noise is coming from the area where #10 is in the diagram. It sounds like the steering shaft is loose inside.

tPEsfIn.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrn2024