P 38 Brake pedal sticking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hillbilly_za

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need some advice from the World Wide Experts...

The brake pedal of my P38 is sometimes totally unresponsive for about the first 1cm of travel and sticks. This happens very irregularly and not very often, but is worrying none the less.

Under normal opperation, the break pedal is extreamly responsive, and as soon as you apply preasure to the pedal you can hear a slight hiss and what sounds like break fluid (I would imagine) being compressed and moving, and the vehicle responds within the first few milimeters of the break pedal being depressed.

However, sometimes.... You put your foot on the brakes and gently apply preasure to start sowly slowing the vehicle down, and nothing happens...! No hiss of fluid moving, and no response from the vehicle...
It feels like the brake pedal depresses for about 1cm or so, with almost no resistance, and with no responce from the vehicle at all, then the pedal meets some resistance, like it gets stuck, and as you keep applying preasure it is as if you suddelny "push through" this immaginary resisting obstical, the pedal goes down a few more milimeters and suddenly you have brakes again...

You only need to "clear" this sticking, non responsive glitch in the breaks once, then they work fine again for 10min, 30min, 2 hours, however long, untill it happens again.

It seems to be totally irregluar as to when it is going to happen, and I have not noticed any sort of pattern in its regluarity, or irregularity. The only thing I have noticed is that it seems to happen at the end of a long acceleration stint, for example if you have been accelerating up a long hill, and then want to slow down as you get to the top of the hill, that is when it seems to happen. You touch the breaks and nothing... you push down further and you feel resistance (but still no breaking), and as you push through the resistance, its as if you break through it and you suddenly get breaks again. Then the breaks perform perfectly untill the next time it happens. I would say it could happen between 3 and 5 times in a days driving.

If anyone can shed some light on why this happens, what could be causing it or how it can be fixxed, please let me know. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

The Hillbilly.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When is the last time you flushed the brake system?

Hillbilly_za

Reaction score
Hi Joey,

When I got the vehicle, about 6 months ago I had to replace the ABS pump and actuator. I dont know if the shop that fitted the pump also flushed the whole break system, but I guess they would have had to at least give the whole system a good belading and change most of the break fluid.
If you think it might help I guess it could be worth trying...?

Pete.

Philipc

Reaction score
Hi Hillbilly,
I realize this thread is 2 years old, but my P38 has exactly the same problem, and wonder how you sorted it,
Philip

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinepgib