My front breaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simon84

Reaction score
Are aperantly in need of replacement on my '05 LR3. This is going to cost me around $720...is this a fair price by my Land Rover dealership or should I look for something local for cheaper? Seems pretty hefty...any help would be appreciated.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Them's the brakes" -Sorry, couldn't resist.

Find an indie shop for about 1/2 that price.

mjm029

Reaction score
$720 seems a tad expensive for just the front brakes. My dealership just quoted me $720 for front and rear, pads and rotors.

Simon84

Reaction score

I will take your advise and try to look for other rates.

I am usually a bit turned off from the idea of letting a non-landrover shop deal with any mechanical problems on the Landrover. I heard its not a good idea.

In any case I'll pick up the car tomorrow. Hopefully they didn't do anything to the breaks now that they know I won't be getting them done. Can u tell I hate dealing with the shops? lol

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced pads all around myself.. set me back about $110 and about 2 hours .. (first pad job ever)

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will take your advise and try to look for other rates.

I am usually a bit turned off from the idea of letting a non-landrover shop deal with any mechanical problems on the Landrover. I heard its not a good idea.

In any case I'll pick up the car tomorrow. Hopefully they didn't do anything to the breaks now that they know I won't be getting them done. Can u tell I hate dealing with the shops? lol

First - it's BRAKES not breaks, and knowing that will help you use the SEARCH function to find out more than you want to know about the brakes on your LR3.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12212&highlight=brake+cost
or
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11992&highlight=brake+cost
are just two that I quickly found for you using "brake cost" as the search terms. Everyone join in: SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND.

Next, - this non-rover shop use phobia of yours is nonsense and not even presented by you as grounded in fact ("I heard" -- from whom, your friendly LR dealer? LOL). You come off as a bit naive, really, so let me assure you that brakes on this truck are no different than any other brakes on most any European (or domestic?) cars from the install and servicing point of view. Modern disc brakes, sir, are pretty generic systems often designed and sourced from third party vendors by car companies like Rover in the first place (no car company makes the parts, pads here are Ferodo/Wagner for instance, and Brembo or Baer make many hi-po car brake packages to private label without their names on them) and these brake systems evolved over many decades. This is opposed to a custom suspension and traction control module with proprietary programming like your LR3's round five position drive mode selector knob and all of its interfaces with other of the car's interrelated computers and systems: diagnosing that stuff requires LR specific tools (for computer diag and simulation).

Putting in new spark plugs, oil, filters, brakes or tires are things dealers tend to do less well and for more money than many owners themselves or than qualified independent mechanics known personally by their patrons. (Dealers often put green techs or, worse, an untrained oil/tire jockey on such tasks, to support my claim.)

Spend your $720 per axle "because you heard your should" or participate here (even by just actively searching yourself before asking for the spoon fed answer) and you shall learn facts that might give you the ability to form your own personal understanding and opinions of ways to save your money, should you choose, or just possibly even get you better results. The latter takes more effort, but forums like this exist for those who enjoy putting in such effort in the first place. Price checking dealer service packages ("I got the 60,000 mile serivce Plus Gold Edition for $699 at my dealer!") might be better covered in Edmund's Townhall forum, I dunno.

Wow - am I ornery tonight.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spend your $720 per axle ...

Wow - am I ornery tonight.

indeed, and while helpful, perhaps not the best way to welcome in someone who clearly recognized he was being hosed by the dealer, and searched for, and found this forum, and then went through the membership process and made his post. You basically accused him of doing exactly what he did do, he just didn't search within the forum.

And um..how many axles does your LR3 have?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer charged me to do the rear pads for about $300. Not bad, so I let them. No rotors, though...not needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinepgib