Just fixed (hopefully) a leaking sunroof...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody .
i have LR3 05 ,i don't have leaking sunroof but do anybody can tell me haw to prevent from happening.What cosign clogged drains (leafs/dust).Haw to clean drains.
Thanks

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just started having this problem with the recent downpours in Houston, lots of water in passenger foot well. Does anyone have any pictures of where to clip the ends of the sunroof drains for the front passenger side? Will I have to lift and pull out the side vent to reach them or look for them underneath the front passenger fender? I only saw a bunch of wires grounded to the frame in the passenger kickpanel, will I be able to pull the tube out from there?

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Major Update: after I pulled out the side vent, I noticed my tube ending was already cut. There was some mud in there from my last outing but it was relatively fine. Poured my water down the sunroof drains, still leaking from a-pillar. Pulled down the headliner via instructions here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic22757.html?highlight=sunroof+drains, and was able to get to pull off the tip of the drain tube and blow through. There was no restrictions at all. Then poured more water down the sunroof drain and realized that the ends of the sunroof rails weren't capped or blocked off at all. Water was flowing straight into the headliner and onto a metal pipe. The metal pipe right in front of the roof rail was severely rusted so it had to have been leaking for a long time. Not quite sure if there's supposed to a cap or not, but it looks like its time to bring it to the dealer. Y'all have any suggestions before i take the $$$ plunge? (In the picture, the pipe perpendicular to the drain tube looks like rubber, but in mine, it's metal and its rusted right in front of the red circle.)
28sr5u8.jpg

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, last update y'all. It seems as though I've been pouring water into the wrong location from the sunroof (green arrow). If I pour water on the rails, it goes straight in the headliner. HOWEVER, if I pour water where water normally comes in, the red arrow, I can see the water squirt out of the drain tube from the side intake and out of the bottom of the car (without leaking inside).
2lbbyf5.jpg

In my case, it seems the normal drain location has been clogged up so water took a short cut around the drain tube and onto the roof rails themselves which takes it straight into the headliner, down the a-pillar, and onto the passenger footwell. I can't tell if this is really poor engineering on LR's part or too much mudding on my part, but hopefully this will be the last time I have to take apart the interior.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all have any suggestions before i take the $$$ plunge? (In the picture, the pipe perpendicular to the drain tube looks like rubber, but in mine, it's metal and its rusted right in front of the red circle.)
28sr5u8.jpg

You might could (is that southern enough?) get some quick weld or metal putty to patch the hole. Is there enough room to replace the defective piece with a spliced section of rubber tubing?

Otherwise good luck and thanks for the wonderful pics. They will become a great resource for the forum.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, might could? I'm not southern, I'm Texan. Ran some water with a hose over the sunroof today to test the drainage and the passenger side was good; however, the driver's side backed up into the footwell. Instead of prying apart the doorsill trim, I just removed the a-pillar (hex screw behind airbag tab), unscrewed the visor (2 screws under cap of pivot and 1 screw under cap of latch), and unscrewed the grab handle ( 1 screw under each tab). Pryed the tube out, hooked up a hose to it and flushed it out. Put it back in and reassembled everything and all looks well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinepgib