Fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

landr2000

Reaction score
I posted a tread up a week back talking about my 98 dico 1 not wanting to start sometimes. I changed out the fuel filter and I'm still having the problem. It sounds like it's not getting enough fuel to start when ever this problem happens. So I'm staring to think that it's the fuel pump going bad and i was wondering where the pump is located and what signs can i look for to tell if it is the fuel pump? If it is the pump where can i get a cheap one and how hard is it to do myself? ( please don't say it's in the gas tank)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually when the pump goes, it just stops working.

The pump is in the tank (but this isn't bad) Just pull up the carpet in the back, the sound pad, then remove the access panel and you just found the pump. It is still a little bit of a pain to change, but hey a lot better than dropping the tank.

How about more info... mileage, last major tune up and what exactly is happening and maybe we can help more.

landr2000

Reaction score
Well to say what exactly is happing is hard without hearing it.

It has 48,000 miles, new spark plugs and fuel filter, air filter is clean Anti lock brake light comes on alot and i have problems with the cruise control but over all runs great.

But this problem I'm having does not happen all the time. Maybe 5 times over the past month. when this problem does happen it sounds like the disco is trying to start but can't...it sounds like it's out of gas. The first 2 times this happen my wife put in a few gallons of gas and it started and a other time the disco sit up for alittle while and started on it's own. But thats why i think it's the fuel pump but cause it sounds like it's not getting any gas to the engine. It also maybe that the fuel gauge on the dash is not working right. it's not moved much sence the last fill up but we have not driven it that much to tell yet. It only gets driven maybe 3 times a week and thats only to the store and back...Im planing to drive a round for awhile this weekend and see if i can make it move.

Thanks for the info about getting to the pump. If i have to get in there that will help alot!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would also check the fuel pump relay to make sure it isn't sticking... with low mileage it could just be a simple item. Fuel pump relay is in the passenger foot well. I can't remember off the top of my head which one it is... have some one listen/feel when you try to start it, you should hear/feel it click.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try to add fuel directly through the intake to see if it is in fact a fuel problem?

landr2000

Reaction score
The disco hasn't given me any problems for about 3 weeks now. I don't know you got me on what the problem could be!:confused::confused:

landr2000

Reaction score
Well i spoke to soon.
The Disco broke down on me again this morning. I did hear a clicking coming from the passenger foot well. Is this the only sign that it is the relay?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you hear it click, that means it should be working, can you hear the pump in the back? Or can someone else listen to hear it?

landr2000

Reaction score
If you hear it click, that means it should be working, can you hear the pump in the back? Or can someone else listen to hear it?

OH OK well that is a good thing. ( i think) No i have not tried listening to the fuel pump. What kind of sound am i listening for?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like an electric motor spooling up, should only last about 3 - 4 seconds when the key is first turned on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinepgib