Can low voltage cause trans over heat message?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

35sLR3

Reaction score
I will try to keep this kind of short. But a lot of things happened around the same time.

Rover sat for about a month as the front pump seal was leaking and I didn't have time to mess with it.

Had the transmission front pump seal replaced at a shop.

Picked up the rover and drove about 20 miles without any problems, ran fine, shifted fine, no issues.

Rover sat for about two weeks, I am out of town so I asked my son to drive it to work a few times during the week to make sure everything is good as I need to take it on a 600 mile trip soon.

On his way to work the first time he drove it, he received the trans over heat warning. He pulled over and it wouldn't start. Battery was dead. A jump box let it start, but we had it towed back to his house as he was late for work at that point and we didnt want to risk any damage to the trans.

The battery is new, only a few months old. I replaced an old battery because it was having some low voltage issues and I blindly changed the battery and didn't check the alternator. Now I feel it was probably a mix of the two being the problem.

So I believe the alternator has gone bad, I am not there to troubleshoot.

Has anyone ever seen a bad alternator or low voltage cause a trans overheat code?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say for sure, but I can say that many spurious faults can be triggered - especially upon startup - if the battery is weak. If you don't have a GAP tool, you should get one. That way you can read the code and see exactly what is going on. You can even check the transmission fluid temperature and see if it is indeed hot.

....best $500 you'll ever spend on your LR3.

35sLR3

Reaction score
I can't say for sure, but I can say that many spurious faults can be triggered - especially upon startup - if the battery is weak. If you don't have a GAP tool, you should get one. That way you can read the code and see exactly what is going on. You can even check the transmission fluid temperature and see if it is indeed hot.

....best $500 you'll ever spend on your LR3.

Thanks for the reply.

I had a GAP tool, but recently had a total loss house fire and it was in my garage so I am toolless for now. Sucks.

Will certainly be getting another one soon as it was awesome to have.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tamjam