Anti Theft / lock / Handset system wonky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bakjar

Reaction score
I am only posting because I have read every thread on this subject and tried all recommendations. Ill give this explanation thoroughly so hopefully it will help isolate the issue. Ill avoid the stealership at all costs.

97 Disco 1, 120 K, stock.
1)key fob (handset) locks doors, but headlights don't flash 3 times and Led fails to blink 10 seconds then blinks slow (indicating partial arming and immobilization), rave says this is due to "This is a mislock condition which will be made apparent by a delay of 10 seconds before the anti-theft alarm
indicator begins to flash. Subsequent closure of
the offending aperture will cause the alarm to
attempt full arming as previously described."

--BUT all doors and hood are closed.--

So I Tested to see if alarm was armed by leaving hood open while holding hood switch down, locking with handset, waited 10+ seconds for LED to blink slow [(indicating partial arming and immobilisation) then released hood switch. Alarm activated and was stopped by pressing lock button on handset. Had to turn key in lock cylynder 3 times back and forth to reset.......then tried built in test procedure recommended by rave to test alarm system. no response.

2) Key fob wont unlock doors even though rave says "ALWAYS disarm the alarm using the handset." So I use key to gain access to vehicle which Does disable alarm and allow motor to be started although rave manual says "NOTE: ALWAYS disarm the alarm using the handset. Unlocking with the key will not disarm the alarm or
mobilize the vehicle
. If the handset fails to unlock the
vehicle See Repair, Handset
. " WHAT?? IM NOT SUPPOSED TO USE THE KEY TO UNLOCK THE DOOR IF ITS BEEN LOCKED WITH HANDSET BECAUSE THE ENGINE WONT START......BUT MINE DOES JUST THAT....STARTS AFTER UNLOCKING WITH KEY?!?!?!?.
Tried initialize handset test. no response. No horn, no led blink. apparently no initializing.

4) NEXT mystery....when inside vehicle and try to manually lock drivers door with sill button, all doors lock then immediately unlock.?????!!!!!! cannot lock doors from inside by pressing drivers sill button. great. what if i break down in east St Louis.

5) Other weird indicators......after trying multiple sequences to get the alarm to arm properly and disarm with handset, I noticed the LED would react in different ways.
After, locking with handset ( with window down), I unlocked door reaching through open window. no alarm yet. open door. LED goes steady red (it was blinking slow up till now). Alarm goes off when ignition is started. ALSO...cant remember the sequence of this procedure but once door was open and LED blinked REALLY fast. No alarm, vehicle started.

things i tried so you can rule them out.
-held key locked for 5+ seconds. all combinations of this procedure.
-disconnecting battery leads. sit overnight. reconnect. same issues.
-replaced battery in handset. handset clean inside.
-there was no incident that triggered this that i know of. its been this way for over a year.
-only have one handset. primary one disappeared. now using backup. and come to think of it.........this all started around the time i started using the new handset.

-other current electrical issues: drivers seat heater not working. wipers only work if switch is held in down position, rear wiper stopped working, occasionally loss of all engine power while driving at highway speeds (spider issue?).

Anyway, I know that was painful to read . If you even did. Im sure its one of the Lucas parts. but not sure where to start. that reminds me of a joke..."why do Brits drink their beer warm? because Lucas makes their refrigerators"
Im probably better off just using key in drivers door and trashing the handset.
thanks.
-

bakjar

Reaction score
maybe this has no solution. Or maybe I offended by my bad joke, or reference to stealer-ship. In any case. does anyone have any suggestion. It is much appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I have been working 18+ hour days for the last couple weeks, got to love day jobs...

Anyways... I would recommend Reprogramming the Keyfob. I just wish I remembered off the top of my head how to due this... I will do my best to find it in the next day or so, unless DiscoMike pops in and can help prior to that.

I believe it is remove battery from the key fob for 10 minutes... then it shouldn't work.

Lock and unlock the doors with the key 4 times (slowly), then lock and unlock with the key fob.

bakjar

Reaction score
thanks joey,
i attempted the reprogram as indicated from RAVE manual, similar to what you posted but with out removing the battery. Ill try your suggestion.

UPDATE: handset now unlocks door after I opening it up and re-soldering the unlock switch to the circutboard....
but all other abnormalities remain.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinepgib