96 disco - runs rough, wont rev

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superderek3

Reaction score
HI,

I just put a different transmission in my discovery. The engine ran great when I pulled it in the shop, but after putting in the transmission it runs like ****. The idle is a bit rough and the throttle response is delayed. I'm lucky if I can get it to rev past 2000, and then it might bogg down, sputter and backfire (I can feel the backfire out the intake). Since there is no way to adjust the timing on this thing, what could it be? I have losened all wireharnesses and cleaned them with contact cleaner. I have put new plugs in also.

It ran perfect when I drove it into the shop,,, what could have gone wrong?

Thanks,

Derek

superderek3

Reaction score
well, I havent noticed any leaks. Also, the fuel pressure at the rail read 38lbs,, which is within the 2.3 to 2.5 bar that the manual reccomends..

I'm still at a loss here.

Thanks for the reply!

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong tranny ?

Hello Derek. This sounds similar to a ground issue I had with another vehicle. Did you do the repair or did a shop do the repair ?
If a shop did it, it sounds like you should take it back. If you did it in your shop, I’m concerned if it is the correct electrical equipment inside the transmission for your year. There also might be an open circuit somewhere internally. But as your post states, ( I just put a different transmission in my discovery. ) I would bet on the internal electronics being different.

Let me know how it goes…………………………………….

Good luck……………. Chongo :bandit:

superderek3

Reaction score
Thanks Chongo, thats a great Idea. I'll fiddle with the transmission tonight to see if I can get the disco to run any different depending on whats connected. With that being said, what sort of electronics are in the trans? The one I put in is from a 96 disco, which is the same year as the mine.

superderek3

Reaction score
Chongo,

I was just looking at the manual, and There is only one harnes that connects to the transmission, for the inhibitor switch. I cant imagine that this would be my problm, the rest of the wiring connects to my transfer case, and I didnt swap that.

Could I have messed up the crank position sensor? The manual says that it wont run at all if that is faulty however.

Can someone confirm what connector color the o2 sensors should be for each side, I have the black set on the passanger side, and the orange set on the drivers side, i'm almost certain that I have it correct.

Thanks,

Derek

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crank position sensor

Derek

Every vehicle I’ve worked on and even with fords, chevy’s and dodges, They well have the same year part no. for the trans but all the electronics is configured differently. I don’t have a book on the schematic on your year, or changes through the year but if you use this link:

http://www.landrovertechinfo.com

I’m sure you’ll find it..

As far as the crank position sensor, if it wasn’t removed before removal and installation, there’s almost 100% chance it’s toast. You chould check to see if your crank position sensor is ok.

I hope this helps……. Chongo :bandit:

superderek3

Reaction score
Chongo,

Why would it be toast if i didnt remove it? It is nested safely in with the flywheel, and I never removed that, simply unbolted the torque converter: (crank position sensor, if it wasn’t removed before removal and installation, there’s almost 100% chance it’s toast)

What year was the disco that you had this problem with? and what specifically was the issue? I'm starting to doubt that internal trans electronics could be my problem because the tran dosent appear to be electronically controlled.

Thanks,

Derek

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ckp

Derek, when you are joining the trans to the engine, it's all too easy to damage the crank sensor. If you read the instruction manual, mine tells me to remove the crank position sensor prior to any dismatling of engine or trans. This little pin that sticks out of the crank sensor is about as thick as #2 pencil lead. Anyway, i'd check it for damage anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinepgib