Over $1,100 for New Brake Pads & Rotors...Sound right to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deanz

Reaction score
Have just about 30K miles and dealer is conducting routine maintenance...Just called me today and said that we need new pads and rotors and they could do it for about $1,100. When I asked if they could just change the worn pads, the dealer's (new) service guy said, "NO, you have to do both on the LR3 at the same time." I had him fax me an estimate which he did. Does this sound right? Can't I just get the pads replaced? If not, does $1,100 sound right for new rotors and pads....And in just 30K miles? Seems a bit early on an SUV positioned as a machine that's top in its class.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you don't have to replace the rotors unless, well, they need replacing. :smile: 30K is very possible, for at least pads; LR3 is a very heavy vehicle. Of course, wear will depend on your type of driving. I personally made it to 32K before I replaced the first set of pads.

See this thread. http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11992

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Also if you do your own maintenance you can probably do the rotors and pads for less than $500.

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had pads only at 28K. Now have 45K and all is well.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 37K and just had the pads/rotors checked by the dealer. Still good, don't need replacement yet.

I have 30K miles on the 19" OEM Goodyears too. They are getting a bit noisy, but still have plenty of tread. Must be lucky, because I don't baby it while driving.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the pads only and got them from Atlantic-British and you should be able to get it done for less than $500.00. Even if you have a local shop to the labor.

deanz

Reaction score
Thanks very much everyone...

Your input has been extremely helpful.

I've got some pricing from Mavis Tire (here in Greenwich, CT) and they'll do all 4 pads for $350 and if I need rotors they are $300 per pair. All prices are for installed product.

Seems fair given everyone's experience.

I'm not mechanical, but it I would think it's OK to have Mavis or Sear's or BJ's Warehouse do such a job...Does that sound right? Should I be concerned if the dealer does not do the work?

Thanks again.

erylant

Reaction score
I just had four pads done yesterday at Land Rover Las Vegas-it was $355 inc. tax. Miles were 23K.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine done (pads & sensors) which cost $600 at my dealer! That's a lot based on some of the other quotes posted. More info from the original thread here;
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10703

I'd say, if you just need the pads, go somewhere else.

If you think you'll need pads & rotors, it doesn't sound like your dealer price will be too much more than Mavis ($950)...for a price that close, I'd probably pay the extra $100 to have the dealer do it. It'll be done right the first time and you probably won't get a car back that is covered in grease...less waiting, better service, and they'll probably give you a loaner at LR.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tamjam