What tools and parts to carry on long road trips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IID Tool from Lucky8 or British4x4outfitters.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TLT, et al: Got a Harbor Freight sale notice emailed to me today and they had this OBDII scanner on sale for $80.
OBD II & CAN Deluxe Scan Tool. Made by CAN-TECH.

I don't know much about these scanner tools but is this one a total no-go for our LRs? I'm wondering what the major differences are with this scanner.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I suspect if you only want to clear faults, then it MIGHT work. The one that they guys are selling have a module for an Android phone, and can also do software updates and things like that. You won't get that with this IF it works.

So, give it a try if you just want to clear faults, and if it does not work return it. I doubt you will get any more than that with this tool.

This is the tool I had in mind for you (and me). I have seen it, and talked to a few guys that have them. Keep in mind, if you plan to do things like software updates, you will also need a battery charger to power the vehicle while you are doing it.

Last edited:

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Much what I figured.
I see now the tool you're talking about.
Thanks!

bigvalpasha

Reaction score
Why is the OBIID needed in the middle of nowhere? Just to know that the right front height sensor quitted on you, and that you need to change it while you are soaked 2 feet deep in the water? Or can you reset error messages so that you can get your way back to civilization?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The latter....say for instance you have a cross-articulation fault and your EAS has dumped you to bumpstops on your 32" tires. With the IIDTool, you can clear the faults, then get your suspension back up to a reasonable height...and pull the fuses so you can drive home.

This isn't supposition....it's happened to me.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, everyone for your awesome replies. Does anyone carry extra coolant and engine oil as well?

I always carry it for my bimmer and it has been very helpful to me especially in hot summers.

If recommended to carry, which brands do you suggest I buy and keep in my truck?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do keep a quart of oil under the hood in all cars. whatever spec is for the vehicle. mainly i do this because I go on long trips and it's an easy thing to be safe with.

I've never carried coolant but I do always have at least a gallon of water for other purposes so that would work in a pinch for radiator too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635