What should I buy: roof rack or hella lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergei,
I was thinking the same thing, but additional tubing might be useful.

You don't happen to have a contact phone number for NWP (the # on their site only allows you to leave a message)? I have been emailing Nicole but it always seems to take so long for a response.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I bought the NorthWest Parts Voyager Roof Rack for my 2004 Discovery. I decided to get the normal rack instead of the low profile one (the 2 inches difference on the lower one still does not allow me to park in the majority of the parking garages in my area).

Oh yeah - I am still putting some major thought into the "zip ties" purchase, but they can be so expensive (just kidding) :smile:

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I actually voted for the hella 4000 because I was faced with the same decision and decided to buy the lights first.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try for the lights next month (but I want to put them on the brush bar, instead of up on the rack).

You know those switches surrounding the Discovery dash (rear wiper, fog lamps, etc.)? I had my Land Rover dealer throw in an extra auxillary lights switch so that I will have every single switch location filled when I hook this up to my hellas (LR wanted about $40 for the switch, you can find them online for about $15-$20, but my dealer paid for it).

And did you notice that on the LR3 these auxillary switches no longer exist, and the auto window controls (usually in the center console), are now by the handrest on the driver's door?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratz Troy, sorry i didnt see your message about phone. I have Andy's cell somewhere about, but normally they answering phone @ website, you just have to call at right time (i.e about 2-3pm Seattle time, or around 7pm. Last one is not recommended much, only if you desperate, as its actually home office)

My rack and bumper are finally made and shall be shipped next week yey! :)

As of lights - its all about how often you really drive at night on long runs. I armed my XTerra with KC hilites after going over Sand Flats trail in Moab at pitch dark last spring - was brutally dirty and all them cows wondering about at the end been giving me heart attack all the time :) But then i used them since only two times, as i got little kid and normally when darkness falls i am either at campsite or in hotel. Apart from occasions when i am on highway but then silverstars giving quite good far light.
But then i got rover and also this winter i drove in convoy with bod who got lightforce lights and its been bleeding amazing :) So i got those :)

As of switches on LR3 - i actually hate that stuff. Got same layout on XTerra and , being ambidexter, i prefer to drive with controlling left hand, therefore any switch of windows in pain in bottom. I absolutely love layout in Discovery. Pity that ditched it.

Switches - EE got them for 20$ or something like that - brand new. Both vertical and horizontal ones :)

One suggestion for those who looking for lights stuff - fit ones on bumper first. Reason is simple - they arent sticking out from rack much and they also can be used (if fit properly) as driving lights on highway in certain states/counties, whereas ones on rack are illegal (too high from road) and can only be used off road (well not that it stops all them jeepers to fire them up here in Durango, but this is another story). Only one thing to remember - lights on bumper obstructing airflow that helps to cool that hot lill engine, so check you putting those.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That that anyone cares, but my roof rack will be shipping sometime this week!

I am just so excited that I had to post an update!

:biggrin:

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also - I now have zip ties and I will have the roof rack in a little while. I hope to purchase the hellas in another couple of weeks. So I guess that my poll has turned into more of a shopping list.

At least I am buying fun items right now, instead of spending $ on repairs. :rolleyes:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy - hehe, mine should be here tomorrow or day after...

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergei,
Post pictures as soon as you can. In particular, I would like some close ups of the welds.

C

ChrisV

tmiller1, Uzbad,
Please, please post picks of your clamps when you get the racks. I have a NRP rack with the old clamps. I am considering purchasing the new ones if they are a better design. NWP have yet to send picks that make me comfortable with the purchase. Thanks!!

I received a LOT of flack on Discoweb a while back for not getting a SD rack. I am glad to see you guys are fans of NWP too.

I recently ground my welds and had it powder coated with a wrinkle finish. I recently had to take a highway trip with a client. I wanted to reduce wind noise quickly. A quick trip to Lowe's and I whipped up 2 quick wind dams. I now have minimal wind noise even at 80mph. (function before fashion here) I am keeping them on just cuz my Jeep buddy does not like them. :biggrin: I will be putting lights on the outside mounts soon. I am told adding lights will reduce wind noise more.... we will see.

Attachments

• roverrack1.jpg
    roverrack1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 92
  • roverrack2.jpg
    roverrack2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads