Transfer Case Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackEyedEd

Reaction score
Hi All - I have a 2008 LR3 with 57k miles. I just noticed that there is a subtle transfer case leak. I suspect it's the seal. I've read through many of the previous posts around 60k maintenance and transfer case problems and have a couple observations and questions...

What's better? Royal Purple 01512 Synchromax or Royal Purple 01303 Max Gear 85W-140? Can I even use RP Max Gear fluid in the transfer case?

Royal Purple recommends Synchromax for transfer cases but I read a post by Disco Mike recommending 85w-140 for better wear protection and quieter gears. In that same post, someone recommended using Royal Purple Max ATF #01320 but according to Royal Purple's website they DO NOT recommend Max ATF on Shell M-1375.4 (ZF 6-Speed AT) which I'm pretty sure is what the OEM Land Rover spec is.

It seems transfer case leaks are quite common for Land Rover and Jaquars. In addition to changing the transfer case fluid with one of the Royal Purple fluids, I plan to add Lucas Oil Transmission Fix. Since the leak is very subtle (doesn't actually drip onto the ground - just accumulates into a small drop hanging off the T-case), I think the Lucas Oil additive will help seal the worn gasket.

Right now I'm leaning towards using RP Max Gear 85w-140, because it should be thicker than the RP Synchromax and the OEM Transfer Case fluid (LRN0753), along with the Lucas Oil additive.

Anyone else think that's a good or bad idea? Before anyone thinks to suggest I go to the dealer, I'm done with them! I'll sell this truck before I take it to Cherry Hill Land Rover ever again... they are the absolute worst.

What is the con to use a 85w-140 oil versus the recommended 75-90 weight?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to add some stop leak, buy a bottle of White Shephred oil stop leak, it does a much better job then the Lucas, and I am a big believer in many of the Lucas products.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked into all of the fluids you mention, but I know that the fluid is an ATF, NOT a gear oil. Our automatic, variable-locking center diff has different requirements than a standard transfer case. I am not sure I would use 85w140 or 75w90.

By the way, mine leaks too :(

BlackEyedEd

Reaction score
Thanks Mike - could you also give me your recommendation on new fluid? Should I go with Royal Purple Synchromax, Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-140 or Royal Purple Max Gear 85W-140?

I greatly appreciate your input!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use either the 75 or 85/140 oils. I am not sure if the LR3 needs some special one though. I run the 75/140 Synthetic gear oil from Walmart which works really well along with my lockers.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread. I think either the transfer case or the transmission pan is leaking on my 06 with 100k. If I start with trying one of the fluids mentioned above, where do I pour it in, I thought the tranny was a sealed system.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112