to trade or not to trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thinking about trading to a 2000 disco ll verses my 1997 dico l se7 any thoughts on which is better or more machanicly sound. what one is easier for a hillbilly machanic like me to work on. I also noticed there are two different V8 motors which one is better. any thoughts..........or opinions.......could help me out alot

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2000 and the 1997 will have the same engine 4.0... didn't change to the 4.6 till 2004 IIRC.

Depends on what you want to do, if you are looking to off road or just something you can work on with out going to the dealer... then the 1997 is the better choice.

If you plan on a smoother ride and want more creature comforts as well as electrics that may cause you to visit the dealer, then the 2000 will be the better choice.

Either way you may never have major issues, or you could have issues all the time, it really depends on how it has been taken care of and what day it was built on.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha "what day it was built on" ... that's funny lol

PS... I'm kind of in the same situation as you. I have a 97 Disco that I've had for year or two and a lot of people might think it's "old school" or out of style or whatever, but the fact of the matter is, is it runs, it does what I need it to do, the interior has most of the creature comforts I was looking for and I can do 90% of the repairs and maintenance on it myself. Yeh, I could afford to go out and buy a 2002 disco 2 today if I wanted to, but I'd rather drive the 97 til the wheels fall off, then go buy something newer... catch my drift?

Last edited:

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the 98 for the same reason - runs good and I can do most of the up keep
(ok so the rear sunroof leaks - havent had time to pull the head liner)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635