Tire Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the Nitto Terra Grapplers first. Switched to Cooper Zeon LTZ's a couple years ago. Both in 285/60/18. The Coopers are a little better in my opinion. Quieter on road and stickier off road. Very tough too. Rubbed up against several sharp rocks and no sidewalling yet.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my second set of Nitto Grapplers and I've been very happy with the mix for off/on road performance. When I started with these the choices were pretty limited but things move on ... I'm also one of a number of WA residents here so I understand the rain requirements.

How many miles did you get out of your first set? How many are on your current? I'm looking at getting a set of 285/60/18 Grapplers.

Thanks in advance,

Don

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles did you get out of your first set? How many are on your current? I'm looking at getting a set of 285/60/18 Grapplers.

Thanks in advance,

Don

I think my last set lasted 40k+ miles. I bought a new set when I hit 75k miles on the LR3. They look great, performed well for me and so it was easy to select them again.

By comparison the BadYears lasted maybe 23k miles and I had FOUR flats which is more than I've had in any car for the last ten years or more. Don't even mention the noise/wear patterns of the BadYears ...

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some really nice highway tires, anything was better than the GY POS! However, what I have now is terrible offroad. Seems like lots of dudes are going with the coopers, but I can't find then in a decent size or price. The Nittos can be had in the 285/60 for about 160ish where I live.

WALR3

Reaction score
Again, thanks for all the help/advice. Does anyone have any experience with Firestone Destination A/Ts?

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Coopers are about $15 per tire cheaper than the Nittos out here in SoCal.

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are people getting good tread life out of the Cooper Zeon's? My TerraGrapplers I have had for over a year now and their tread is still pretty good, in fact it's still very good, and I corner hard and use them off road alot. Those Zeon's seem cool, how are they off road? Are they good in mudd and on rocks, anyone ever had them pressed into the sidewall and did they hold traction? If they are better than the TerraGrappler off road I might buy them if they get good tread life, the only thing stopping me from buying some Cooper STT's is tread life, same with the TrXus M/T's which are my favorite tire

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Nitto's keep on going like the energizer bunny. If it wasn't for a couple of flats over the xmas break (caused by broken tyre chain links on the roadway!) I'd probably still be on my first set.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Nittos did not hold up well to the off road rigors I subject my LR3 to. I had to replace them at 30k, and in addition to being worn down, they were heavily chunked out also.

My Coopers have had a similar lifestyle of grit and torture, but after 32k miles, are holding up well. I will easily get 40k maybe more, and they are wearing very well. They ride better on the road, and are equal on the trail in all cases I have tried (excludes snotty mud and deep snow).

Here is what my Coopers look like at 32,000 miles:
498544925_AFEjp-L.jpg

KyRover

Reaction score
Again, thanks for all the help/advice. Does anyone have any experience with Firestone Destination A/Ts?

I put these on a Jeep Cherokee that my son drives. He has been very happy with them both on and off road, especially for the price. The Jeep had some really cheap Mastercraft tires on it when I bought it so I really don't have much to compare them with, but the Firestones are good on wet roads, have a nice ride, wear well, and according to him work well in mud. They seem to be a good bang for the buck as long as you don't expect to much from them, i.e. they are more geared toward the street but do okay off-road.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4