Steering Wheel Melting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people have had problems with the steering wheel leather. What was the outcome??

thanks!

2005 LR3 SE V8

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try a search for this subject as it was discussed ad nauseum a while back. My regular dealer wouldn't do a damn thing for me, so I drove 1.5 hours to another dealer who replaced it under warranty without hesitation. (My regular dealer is NOT my regular dealer anymore).

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is info on the May 2009 Technical Service Bulliten concerning the steering wheel cover. If you complain and/or find the right dealer it should be covered under warranty.

No: LTB00203

Issue: 1

Date: 12 MAY 2009

SECTION: 501

Driver Air Bag Module Trim Cover Distorted - Repair Procedure

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE

CONDITION SUMMARY:

Situation:

The driver air bag module trim cover may 'lift up' at the top edge. This cosmetic issue may be caused by an expansion coefficient difference between the two layers of material that form the airbag module trim cover.

Action:

In the event of a customer concern of the above, refer to the Repair Procedure outlined below to replace the driver air bag module.

PARTS

TOOLS:

Refer to Workshop Manual (GTR) for any required special tools

WARRANTY:

NOTE:
Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair time.

DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

REPLACE DRIVER AIR BAG MODULE

NOTE:
Global Technical Reference (GTR) lookup sequence is as follows: GTR Home > NAS > Model > Service Information > Model Year > Workshop Manuals > 5: Body and Paint > 501-01: Body and Paint > 501-20B: Supplemental Restraint System

1. Refer to Workshop Manual (GTR) section 501-20B: Supplemental Restraint System (76.74.01) and replace the driver air bag module.

Attachments

• steering wheel tsb 01.jpg
    steering wheel tsb 01.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 70
  • steering wheel tsb 02.jpg
    steering wheel tsb 02.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 73
  • steering wheel tsb 03.jpg
    steering wheel tsb 03.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 156

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there should be a STICKY telling people to search before opening new threads!!!

anyhow, mine was replaced under warranty for new wheel swap out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90