starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LocatorF1

Reaction score
99 Range Rover 4.0 just died one day. I replaced the starter and it was fine for a while. I got a MIL warning on the dash so I checked with my OBDII scanner and it gave the code P0101. I bought that part but before I got a chance to put it in the truck died and I had to get it towed home.
I was also experiencing a hot start problem. I have good fuel pressure. I'm getting power to the starter however, the battery was dead. I recharged the battery and it still won't start. It does nothing. I checked the inertia fuel shut off, It's fine. It's been sitting for a week and the battery is still at full charge. It still won't start. Doesn't turn over at all. I was thinking it could be the starter solenoid but starter is only a month old. I also wondered if it could be the fuel temp sensor. My shop manual shows how to replace the parts but isn't good with trouble shooting. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, first if it is not turning over it has nothing to do with fuel, at least not yet.

I am going to suggest either replace the battery regardless what the charge says, if it has a bad cell it will show good charge but not have enough umph to do anything. If replacing the battery does not fix you issue, pull the starter and have it tested.

LocatorF1

Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you for the advice. I'll try that first. I'll let you know what happens this weekend!

LocatorF1

Reaction score
Replaced battery......

and still got nothing. Pulled the starter and had it tested. It was shot. This is the second starter in a couple months. Could there be something pushing too much voltage to the starter causing it to burn out over a period of time? A relay?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it was a rebuilt starter, it could just be junk.

LocatorF1

Reaction score
Not a rebuilt starter

I always buy electronic parts new. I was wondering if there is a relay problem or maybe the alternator is pumping out too much juice or something. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly even new parts fail. You can over power a starter to 16 or 18 volts IIRC, and it will not hurt it unless done for many hours.

My guess would be just a bad starter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak