South Coyote Canyon Trail in Anza Borrego

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me about the South Coyote Canyon Trail. I'm going to go do some remote camping and off-roving this weekend. Anyone have any experience on this trail? I'm excited, it has 4 river crossings to wade through and some fairly technical rock climbing. Nothing a stock LR3 couldn't handle from what I've read. Also supposed to be very pretty out there this time of year (although not as pretty or crowded as spring with the wildflower bloom).

Anyone have any other trails I might checkout out there?

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh very cool. How did you like the trail? You guys went about the same time of year so I expect the water levels to be about the same. How was that 4th crossing and the rock climb that follows for you?

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We only did one water crossing and turned back before the rocks. The trails was 98% dirt road, 1% water crossing and 1% sand. Driving in the creek was the best part of the trip. Overall, not very challenging, but it was meant for new owners.

I would not do the same trail again, it's a long drive for mostly dirt road. Now, you mentioned 4 water crossings and the rock climb. That sounds interesting. Take plenty of pictures.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lower Coyote Canyon is a fun run. The second water crossing is the through the marshes
and is the deepest one, but only to the top of your tires this time of the year. The rock
garden is a fun short uphill climb that isn't too hairy but is just difficult enough to
be interesting. I found a spotter to be very helpful on this hill, so if someone is
available take advantage. And yes!! Share your pics and experience.

DD

Last edited:

Auburn92

Reaction score
I've taken the Coyote Canyon all the way back with my LR3 twice last year. The rock climb was the challenging and going fast on the other side of the the rock climb was fun, sandy roads and a few rolling bumps. I have slightly larger than stock Nitto's 285/60/18. overall fun run. As a matter of fact, my avatar pic is from the rock climb.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo