Smoky start after sitting for a week...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BELLROVER

Reaction score
B036 is when the dealer updates the transmission, engine, I-pack, HVAC, transfercase, air suspension. on early 05 and 06 their was a promblem with the Engine ecu software. the software was unable to calculate 02 sensors correctley, this can also cause the smoke on start up. make sure that's not just condensation.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bluebird said:
Yes, that needs to be addressed by the dealer before the end of your warranty. And plan on not getting the car back for 2 weeks at least. How is the idle? Open the hood at idle and see if there is any shake-put your hand on it if you can't see it. Good Luck!

You were right! I had them check this while it was in for the 37.5K checkup.

Had it most of the week, no answers yet, calls into the tech line. They're waiting for answers.

I need the truck for the weekend so I'll have to bring it back some other time for this....

Idle seems fine. I'll try the hand on top idea, but everything seems to run smoothly.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FIX UPDATE

Okay, so they were able to give me a bigger loaner (which I needed for the weekend) so I ended up leaving the truck with them, which was good. After sitting for the weekend they saw the mild smokey start I was talking about and already had a call in to the LR techs about it.

Said they were skeptical that it would be oil since this Jag engine is very "tight." I suppose they already went down the PCV route. According to them, it was fuel, not oil that was burning and it was caused by dirty fuel injectors. The explanation I got was that the injectors would not close all the way (?) and fuel would drip down, more so when it sat for a long time. I confess, other than pictures I haven't seen the inside of an engine so I'm just taking their word on this one. Said it was likely caused by fuel additives.

They said they cleaned it and its something I may notice again in 30K, but I guess if its something simple like this perhaps I can prevent it with the occasional can of BD44K. For that matter, they made it sound like they opened things up to clean (I forgot to clarify this point) but for all I know they just put in some fuel injector cleaner and took it for a run on the highway.

Any thoughts on this?
Does it make sense?
Any questions I should ask when I pick it up tomorrow?

It was nice that LR took my claim seriously and seems to have researched the issue. Probably would have been easy for them to just say "could not recreate problem" on this one and send me on my way.

Thanks.

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they do a compression test and if they did ask them to see the results. I'm sure it's nothing but it could also be serious so your still in warranty you have the condition noted in the cars sevice history. Just keep an eye on it.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could very well be a dirty or clogged in injector... this will cause you symptoms... I didn't know how many miles on you vehicle, so did even thing of injectors.

I recommend Lucas injector cleaner once a month (buy it by the gallon) $20 will last over a year on one vehicle.

Also pick up one of the small bottles and refill via the gallon.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on Lucas. Yes, this was my 37.5K service visit.

No, they did not compression test it. LR said symptoms pointed to dirty injectors so they were cleaned by forcing compressed something through them. They also put some cleaner in the tank.

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the smoke black or blue? Black is Fuel/Blue is Oil. Black is injectors-Blue is valve guides or at least call for a compression test. Any way I'm sure it'll work itself out.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its blue, and I think its still there. Just got back from a vacation, truck was sitting for 10 days, started it up and smelled the same thing. Didn't seem as bad as previously, but it just could have been me. Who knows.

Yeah, maybe sometimes dealers just say thing with authority and you think you should believe them. In my case it was, "...that's fuel, not oil, that is burning." That blue/black fact throws this little theory out the window! F*ck!

drafdog

Reaction score
Interesting, my 05 with 23K also did the smoking thing when I started it up this morning. It smelled more like fuel than oil, but two things that need to be noted:
1) it is usually only driven on the weekends and
2) the last time it was driven (a few days before) it was parked for many hours declined on our steep driveway before inching forward into the garage.

Not sure if any of this helps, but wanted to post my experience.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge