Side Protection Tubes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 LR3 and was considering buying the tubes. Has anyone experience any problems with the OEM side protection tubes? (stainless)

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have them and love them. Although I was recently climbing some rocks, and due to the wetness I slid into the rocks and dinged up one side. It didn't ding too badly, and hardly noticeable, but I'd rather that than the body of the car..

By the way, they in no way do not function as steps. My buddy tried it the other day and nearly broke his tailbone. I did have the running boards once before, but hated them. Personally, I think the chrome tubes look the best on darker cars.

Here's a pic:
http://members.***.net/angasreid/world/stainlesstube.jpg

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are a nice additon to the look of the car, but...

They do not function as Side Protection Tubes however. I used my car alot and at end of lease, they were dented dinged and crushed. I used them as more side feelers than anything else, after they took the first few dings. After that, I just kept bending them back from the body and shooting them with semi-gloss to make them appear halfway decent.
Just some FYI.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are for looks only, with no real support or the strength to act as a slider. There sliders available for a LR3 if you want real protection.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have the LR sidesteps, and took them off in favor of the High Country sliders, which are essentially a 2x4 tube mounted along the side. VERY STRONG, and coated with truck bed liner paint, so they have non-skid, but are very easily touched up when scratched against a rock.

948ddcd2.jpg

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had them until recently and would agree that they provide a little bit of protection on the trail but nothing like that of a true set of sliders. I had the black ones which matched my nudge bar without looking like bling. I now have the RS Sliders which are significantly more robust and weight about 3x as much.

Part of the issue also is that you have to be vigilant with the tyre folks who are always tempted to use them as a jack point which they most definitely are NOT.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the side step tubes in black. Mostly for looks.
They don't work as a step to get into the car, however, when I'm barefoot I can get a toe in there and use them to reach the roof when washing the car (front roof...just stand on the tire for the back roof).
I think the reason they do not work as steps is LR designed them to mount as close to the body as possible to preserve the ground clearance.
I've had them for 4 years, 80K, and they are now started to show a few rust spots. If I keep the LR3 past 100K, I'll look into those HC Sliders. Those seem nice.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the side step tubes in black. Mostly for looks.
They don't work as a step to get into the car, however, when I'm barefoot I can get a toe in there and use them to reach the roof when washing the car (front roof...just stand on the tire for the back roof).
I think the reason they do not work as steps is LR designed them to mount as close to the body as possible to preserve the ground clearance.
I've had them for 4 years, 80K, and they are now started to show a few rust spots. If I keep the LR3 past 100K, I'll look into those HC Sliders. Those seem nice.

I'm impressed that you managed to use the tubes as a step - I'm just imagining the conversion in the ER room if I'd tried that. I obviously lack your dexterity!

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will echo the earlier comments about them not really being much "protection" despite the name. Jim's are a good option (he looks for any excuse to post that pic of him on Poughkeepsie :biggrin:)

If you want the ultimate in side protection however, you have to pay a little bit more and get the Rover Specialties sliders. OffRoving.com sells them (no I don't get a cut, just a satisfied customer). These things can support the entire weight of the vehicle and go all the way under to the frame. The kids and I use them as step with no problem as well. Lastly, they do not inhibit the ground clearance at all. Here's a couple pics.

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

DSC_0594.jpg

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boaz, those RS tubes look beautiful (could also be that your car is shinier than mine and you have some kickin' treads on there!)

The bottom protection looks nice as well as they seem to come in a foot on the sides. Do you get any grief from LR when you go in for service? I would think for certain service they may have to be removed. (maybe that isn't standard, just if LR needs to get to items on the sides which aren't typical)

Thanks for posting those pictures.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635