RRC BW Viscous Coupling and Latch Spring Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buwaldar

Reaction score
The last couple of months I noticed that the truck was rubbing around corners and the tyres show premature wear at the running edges - clear signs of a seized VC! (120kmiles)

I changed the VC with the transfer box in situ and I must say that it's very doable on a classic, it took me 3 hours and not only cornering but also straight driving is a real pleasure again without transmission windup.

Had some trouble with the front door locks not staying locked anymore too, so I ordered the 'Replacement Range Rover Classic door lock repair springs' from ebay. It's a bit of a puzzle to get the latches with all the rods in and out the doors, replacing the tiny broken springs is really easy. I can recommend this solution to all rather than replacing the expensive latch mechanism.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Glad to know that you were able to change the VC with transfer box so easily. I had one go out on my first rover years ago. Where there any other warning signs you had a seized viscus coupler?

Buwaldar

Reaction score
Other signs were the nuts of one the halfshafts came loose form the hub and needed to give a lot of gas during slow and tight cornering.
It is easy to determine if a VC is playing up, just make a sharp u-turn and jack one wheel up and determine if there is a huge amount of stress is released from the drivetrain. With a new VC, there is no stress at all and a jacked up wheel can easily be rotated by hand as I found out.

Ruud

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99