road trip and some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last week took a five day trip in my 96 discovery that included land between the lakes and smoky mountain national park. the rover was loaded up with three bikes, factory roof rack full of camping gear, the back full of camping gear, cooler, etc, and in the front and middle seats two adults and three childeren. the off roading area at land between the lakes was closed due to recent flooding, so, no go. the smokies were incredible. i really dig mountain driving. even did some very minor off-roading. at the top of mount balsam there is a 14 mile one-way dirt trail down to the bottom. dropped the rover in to low gear and just for the hell of it kicked in the diff lock. you know, just to keep it from locking up from lack of use. over all the truck drove like a dream. averaged 16+mpg on the highway cruising between 70 and 80 mph the whole way. did notice how a chip upgrade would be nice for passing and on the up hill mountain pulls.

now for one question. turned on the ac due to the stifling humidity. the button for the rear ac does not click when depressed like the button for the front. it also takes repeated and various depressions to get it to turn on the rear blower. the kids button in the back does the same thing. is it time for new buttons/switches? if so, what are some good sources?

the second question. the rear sun roof is sticking occasionally. should i just lube the tracks? what type of grease?

thanks,

jeremiah

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends, what setting was the fan on... mine in high setting for the fan doesn't always work... needs a new switch.

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the fan switch was always on 1 or higher. the button under the radio next to the main ac button is the one that is acting funny. the second row seating ac controls overhead the seats are doing the same. the fan/blower control switch works fine. the button to turn on the ac depresses but does not click when depressed. it takes multiple tries pressing both that button and the one in front to turn on the rear ac.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a possible bad switch then, odd that both are doing the same though.

The reason I mention the switch is mine does a similar action on not turning on if the fan is on high.

Of course I don't recall that switch clicking... since it is a 3 way switch. I will have to look.

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I had a 96 Disco once, but to tell you the truth I can't remember if the A/C even worked:) Do you have picks from your trip? I would love to see some pics from the trip, I've been wanting to load down my Range and do something like that, I think a Rover looks best when it's loaded down and taking off to the mountains!

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll try to upload the pics to picasa soon. the discovery did look good all loaded up. think it might be time to replace the springs. she sat kinda low, though, the tires never rubbed even on some potholes we hit on the highway. running some michelin 255/65.

anybody know where i could source some new rear ac button/switches? everywhere i've looked does not even mention them.

jeremiah

blownf150

Reaction score
Check out roversplus.com Reggie can hook you up. with some used stuff pretty cheap so if it isnt the problem your not out what the dealer charges.Are you from the Tn area lbl has some good riding we run up there a couple times a year.If you want to head back this way let me know there is some real good riding in south east tn where we live.

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks blownf150. i'll check out roversplus.

i'm out of saint louis, mo. so, i don't get out towards tn that often. i would love to ride trails, though, they'd have to be pretty easy as i have little to no off-road experience.

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks blownf150. i'll check out roversplus.

i'm out of saint louis, mo. so, i don't get out towards tn that often. i would love to ride trails, though, they'd have to be pretty easy as i have little to no off-road experience.

who needs experience? You have a land rover:biggrin: JK, I remember when I started taking these things off road, first on dirt roads in VT then before I knew it I was having to leave my Disco overnight in a forest cause I had teh frame stuck trying to back out of a mud spot that had my front ARB underwater. Truth be told, the only reason I tried to back out was because a week prior I submerged that engine..... I guess that's how we all learn, and we all learn sometime:proud:

blownf150

Reaction score
We have easy stuff in prentice cooper mostly forest service roads. One is a county rd that has some good creek crossings and ledges to play on. Then we have the cove witch is mostly creek bed riding on slipery rocks. Big stuff there with go arounds if you can't make it up. Then we have aenta mtn pretty much mud holes and walls with mud at the bottom. Place takes alot of skinny pedal.Then we have beasly knob at the limit for a stock truck when its dry after a rain can't get my trailer queen through there. Great thing is they are all less than 45 min ride apart from my house and tellico was less than an hour but it is now closed cause of trout unlimited and the forest service.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge