Replacement Tires 19 inch - Suggestions & Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm finding the stock Continental 4x4 tires really poor performers. Even in a light dusting of snow they are pretty bad.

I was looking for some recommendation for the 19 inches tires. I don't do any off-roading so looking for good on-road performers.

As well, how does it work with the TPMS? Is that part of the tire? Or I can get any tire and they fit the TPMS inside the new tire? Sorry, first vehicle with TPMS.

Thanks for any help.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey mattypV50,

I have the Cooper Zeon LTZs (http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/01410.html) and they are awesome, but since you are looking for a good on-road tire with snow/ice capability, I would probably recommend an all-season highway tire (which the Continental 4x4 tires are NOT). The Cooper Zeon LTZs are great in the snow and anything off road, but quite beefy and may have some slight road noise. A friend of mine goes skiiing a lot and loves the Toyo Open Country H/T (http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/362580.html) and another friend of mine has the Pirelli Scoprtion Zero (http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/1780400.html) and loves them - but these are a bit more beefy. Both of them are rated as highway all season - and I heard great in the snow.

Just a plug for Tread Depot, I ordered my Coopers through them and they were EXCELLENT customer service and great prices. I also got the tire insurance, which is a great deal.

Lastly, as far as the TPMS, that is not part of the tire, but rather you can use your existing monitor units on the new tires - you do NOT need to buy new TPMS units. You should be set there.

Best of luck!

-David

Last edited:

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Coopers. There are slim pickings on a good tire in 19". If you want something not quite as aggressive as the Zeon, we have the Scorpion Zero's on our Cayenne and are very good tires in the snow, rain and dry pavement and are quite happy at 120++ mph, don't ask me how I know. :biggrin:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Coopers. There are slim pickings on a good tire in 19". If you want something not quite as aggressive as the Zeon, we have the Scorpion Zero's on our Cayenne and are very good tires in the snow, rain and dry pavement and are quite happy at 120++ mph, don't ask me how I know. :biggrin:
120+mph - yikes! :) I can see that in a Cayenne, but I don't think I've been over 85 in my LR4. Hahaha! :)

The Coopers are awesome, especially if you want some capability - not much else happening for our 19" wheels.

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
120+mph - yikes! :) I can see that in a Cayenne, but I don't think I've been over 85 in my LR4. Hahaha! :)

The Coopers are awesome, especially if you want some capability - not much else happening for our 19" wheels.
Yeah, a 911 wanted to play. 138 and not breathing hard yet. No, the LR4 travels at a more reasonable speed.

Either way, can vouch for either tire.

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've never posted a pic of my LR4 before - only had it a few weeks. So here it is!

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pic...

Attachments

• LR4.jpg
    LR4.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 66

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About two weeks ago i took my lr4 up the back route towards Snow Summit (Southern California ski resort). I have a LR4 HSE with HDP and the stock 19inch conti's. It was dumping all day, with enforced chain control for most vehicles. 4x4's, not awd, got a pass and while required to carry chains, did not have to install them.
The back route, hwy 38, is a windy primarily one lane road that brings you into the eastern side of the lake. Once you hit the mountains, you are probably limited to about 40mph when its snowing (max).

First of all, the lr4 rocked. So solid, so comfortable (heated seats kept the wife happy) and my gosh is that engine wonderful in the hills...almost made me forget the fuel economy (thankfully I can just make it there and back home on one tank). Except for when I purposely tried to make her slip, I hardly ever felt the vehicle lose any traction. I kept looking to see if the rear locker engaged! Now, granted, this was not Northern Minnesota, and I wouldn't call the conditions anything beyond mild to moderate, but I was pleasantly surprised with the Conti's. If there was more than a few inches of snow, or a higher speed, it might have been a different matter. If you were already in the mountains, and it dumped heavily, you might have to wait for a snow plow to hit the roads, but for California, with our almost comical desire to close roads prematurely, the conti's will do the job for most of us. (Didn't run into significant ice, so no idea how it performs on that element) That being said, I wished I bit the bullet and bought the coops like Finlay told me to... :)

Slightly off tangent, but as a Northern California transplant to San Diego, I find Southern California pretty funny sometimes when it comes to snow. First of all, the vast majority of SUV's are not 4x4, and even then, many of the few 4x4's drive with chains when it snows. I wish i took a picture, but I saw a RR Sport with chains on....I felt embarrassed for them...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635