Pulling injectors for valve cover gasket, can I avoid it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how about a high mileage oil?
I've always run either the OE Castrol or Mobil or Castrol Extended Performance synthetic oils.

I would certainly first try to seal from the outside if I can get away with it.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always run either the OE Castrol or Mobil or Castrol Extended Performance synthetic oils.

I would certainly first try to seal from the outside if I can get away with it.

Great. Try the Mobil1 EP high mileage version and see if that stops the leaking/weeping. Cheap option before committing to surgery.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great. Try the Mobil1 EP high mileage version and see if that stops the leaking/weeping. Cheap option before committing to surgery.
Yeah, definitely. Thanks. It's definitely a minor leak. No dops of oil in the garage.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't want to say they were trying to scam me but I looked at the LR4 with as many lumens as could reasonably be produced and I cannot find any trace of any leak whatsoever.

RoverTide

Reaction score
I had a dealer tell me that my valve cover and vacuum booster were leaking oil. They wanted $5k to fix.. Turns out the oil filter cap wasn't screwed on tight enough and oil was leaking down the front of the engine. Dealerships just aren't incentivized to spend the time necessary to truly troubleshoot issues... There is no money in it for them. Occasionally, you will find one with a technician that does though.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a dealer tell me that my valve cover and vacuum booster were leaking oil. They wanted $5k to fix.. Turns out the oil filter cap wasn't screwed on tight enough and oil was leaking down the front of the engine. Dealerships just aren't incentivized to spend the time necessary to truly troubleshoot issues... There is no money in it for them. Occasionally, you will find one with a technician that does though.

Yes. A brittle filter cartridge o-ring can cause a leak down the front mimicking a vacuum/valve cover leak.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99