Park brake & fuel cap errors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read other threads about the woes of the parking brake error and the various issues or non-issues causing it.

This morning I parked without applying the parking brake, and the fuel cap loose or missing error came up on my info display. This came up a few weeks ago and went away within a few days. Shortly after that, I got another error saying there was a parking brake fault. The words 'Park Brake' are now illuminated on my dash (in yellow, not red the way they usually are when I use the park brake.)

Does anyone have some thoughts on this? I haven't monkeyed around with anything yet but wanted to get some sage advice from the group.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amber suggests fault, wear, or service required.

The owners manual is vague but the colour of the Park Brake warning light can be either red or amber. Amber suggests OK now kind of, but trouble in the future.

Now is the time to download for free and read Bodsy's Brake Bible per the link below.

Link on disco3 to Bodsy’s Brake Bible

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4184

Replace the *** with disco3 co uk and insert a period in each of the two spaces.

Download the latest version; v1.6a as of when I typed this.

Bodsy keeps updating it as he tunes the pdf up.

The best part is probably towards the end re the electronic parking brake.

It is black art stuff, (well leading edge); also the set and unset procedure applies when doing just a normal rear pad change.

If you ignore the set unset procedure, then a few miles down the road, the squealing will start.

The fronts are more normal, but the rears, not!

You actually have three pair of brake assemblies to deal with, the front pair of rotors, and pads, the rear pair of rotors and pads, and then the parking brake pair of drums and shoes – yes, drums and shoes. That is why you can use the parking brake as a “dynamic” system to safely slow the vehicle from highway speeds. The owner’s handbook explains the procedure as below.

Dynamic operation
In an emergency, the park brake can be applied
’dynamically’, i.e. with the vehicle travelling at
more than 3 km/h (2 mph). Pulling up on the
lever and holding it up gives a gradual reduction
in speed. The brake warning indicator will
illuminate accompanied by a harsh sound and
’Caution! Parkbrake applied’ appears on the
message screen. The stop lamps will illuminate.
Releasing or depressing the lever will cancel the
Parkbrake application.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Getting in the car after work, the park brake warning didn't come back up and the fuel cap loose or missing error is still there. It just seems like a quirk.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update: According to my indy repair shop, the faults are related to a low battery charge and 'lost communication with modules', stressing the fact that everyone seems to already know - a weak battery can cause faults to be thrown. It turns out that neither of the two faults are real. Carry on.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the update.

We appreciate the update. My theory is the 3 is like a baby - you have to learn when the crying is for real or just to get your attention - and that is not easy.

What I do know is that the more faults you are hit with kind of at the same time, the more minor the problem, (if any), is. Even a Land Rover does not totally collapse all at the same time.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New faults: I started getting the HDC error, transmission error and cruise control not permitted error (although I hadn't engaged it), so I decided it's time for a new battery. I installed a new Interstate the other day and all of these faults continue to show up (not always). When the HDC error comes up, I go into the lowered suspension height and the car won't go into normal or off-road suspension heights.

Can anyone tell me - should the faults go away on their own or do I need to get them cleared? I'm assuming this is just a gremlin and not a true issue.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Communication failures can be battery low voltage related and can either be cleared or may go away after time. Do you ever use the EPB ? I had to pull the fuse on mine for a while until I got it replaced and that triggered the amber park brake warning because it wasn't "there".

You may have replaced the battery but is it entirely compatible with the battery use pattern of the LR3 ? With a number of systems that stay alive for a while even when locked I was told you need to get a gel based battery which is optimized for handling slight current draw all the time...YMMV

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@stmcknig: Huh?

@OP: Try doing a "hard reset" and see if the faults come back. If they do, it could be your brake pedal switch.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...disconnect the battery cables and connect them together. Most have said that you'll need a short run of wire to do this as they are generally not long enough to reach each other.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635