P38 Engine Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the engine be removed without removing the transmission at the same time? The official Land Rover workshop manual I have only gives instructions for engine and trans removal as a unit.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
it is easier to remove any engine when you do them both mainly due to all the nuts and bolts that are extremly hard to reach.

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to answer my own question for everyone elses information, it is not necessary to remove the engine and trans as a unit. I did it yesterday and it was not that big of a deal. Two of the bell housing bolts were a bit of a challenge, but otherwise pretty much the usual affair and since the trans. wasn't taken out along with the engine, there was enough clearance to avoid removing the coolers, condenser and grill. Today is the fun part, the new engine goes in!

jshand

Reaction score
Just to answer my own question for everyone elses information, it is not necessary to remove the engine and trans as a unit. I did it yesterday and it was not that big of a deal. Two of the bell housing bolts were a bit of a challenge, but otherwise pretty much the usual affair and since the trans. wasn't taken out along with the engine, there was enough clearance to avoid removing the coolers, condenser and grill. Today is the fun part, the new engine goes in!

Hi doing the same , engine out for rebuild, how was it to go back in? what did you do with the tork converter, mine came off with engine, cant see how to get at the 4 bolts with the sump on? any help wouild be welcome, thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM