On board air (cheap)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after experiencing the significant benefits of airing down, I now need to figure out a better way of airing back up. So far, I have been able to find someone with onboard air at the trailhead that is kind enough to lend me their compressor... I looked at some compressor options, but they seem so expensive. Couldn't I just buy an air tank from Sears or the local hardware shop for $50 - $75 and use that to air up? If so, what size would I need to fill up 4 285/60/18 Coopers and have a bit left over just in case?

Last edited:

KyRover

Reaction score
If your looking for a cheap air compressor try the Q Industries MV50. They're around $60 and it works fine on my 275/60-18's.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is a moderate size tank(5lb) with a 135psi stored faster than a small compressor?

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a 10lb CO2 tank it is portable and I can fill a 32" tire about 20times
you can have as little as 100 bucks into a set up if you build your own.
and you wont get a faster air up time and can even reset a bead.

http://www.powertank.com/charts.specs

I went with ultimate air but powertank has a ton of info on their site but they are pricey.

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The better the compressor, the shorter the fill time (generally). I like the Viair 400. Its compact, great CFM rate, and fills my tires fairly quickly. However, the chuck is not the best, I think having an expansion tank in conjunction the compressor is a much better (though pricier) option. That way you can run a high quality inflator that is less troublesome to fit on the valve stems. Ergonomics can be important after a long day, at night, in the cold (or desert heat).

However, NOT the 450. I have one in my Jeep, and its strong and steady, but very slow. Takes forever to fill up my 35" tires, even with a 2 gallon tank.

The CO2 tank approach is great, but not very compact, and involves the extra step of getting it charged periodically, and they are 2x the cost for a decent setup with a good regulator and inflator.

Lots of solutions, pick what you prefer, but remember, the cheaper you go, the more you will spend after you get fed up and buy the better one.

Links to my onboard install of the 400:
http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=34

Links to my testing between the 400 and 450:
http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=72

onboard_air_03-800.gif

mhb907

Reaction score
On Board Air

Nathan,

Where did you pick up power for the compressor?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan,

Where did you pick up power for the compressor?

Straight to the battery. You can see the flexy cable sheath in the photo running in front of the firewall. I grounded it on the inside fenderwall at an existing ground post. You can sorta see in the photo, look just to the right of the start of the yellow air hose.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anybody have any additional recommendations regarding their onboard air setup? i am debating on mounting a viair compressor in the back of the truck similar to nwoods or getting a 10lb CO2 air tank. i don't really want to mount it in the 2nd battery compartment as i plan to put a 2nd battery there in the future.

also, for those of you running the cooper zeons 285/65/18, have you had much luck airing the spare down and wedging it up under the truck? i've got mine bungeed down in the cargo area and am ready to get it under the truck or on the back of it. putting it on the back, however seems like a very limited option at the moment.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matt (I feel silly saying "BldrRvr" since I know you...haha),

I recently installed a similar setup to Nathan's, with a small compressor mounted in the spare battery compartment. I picked up the compressor at High Country 4x4 down here in Denver for around $85. It's a 150PSI unit, and it seems to fill up each tire in about 2-3 mins. Not quite as fast as a powertank, but it gets the job done. I'd be happy to meet up with you and let you check out the setup in person if you'd like.

also, for those of you running the cooper zeons 285/65/18, have you had much luck airing the spare down and wedging it up under the truck? i've got mine bungeed down in the cargo area and am ready to get it under the truck or on the back of it. putting it on the back, however seems like a very limited option at the moment.

I'm running the Nittos in the same size, and managed to wedge my spare into the stock location. I had to air it down to about 5 PSI, and even then had to do some kicking/pushing to get it under there.

-Paul

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*Warning Thread Jack*

I discovered today that if you take the 4 rubber bumpers from the spare compartment, the over-sized tires fits better. You still have to air it down, but you can at least use the hitch again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4