OK, You're probably sick of this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Interpol

Reaction score
so i've looked through the forums looked at ratings and went to that lovely site landroverhell dot com. I understand there are reliability issues but here is my issue. 70% of the time people complain without giving enough info (not any of the lovely people on this site of course), meaning no year of which car they are complaining about, if its new or used that they bought, if they have gone on serious off roading or just normal day to day use. Here's my position, im a 30 year old male and currently drive a glk 350 but so does every other mom out there, never had an issue with the car its solid but thankfully i get to trade it in for something a little more masculine. Was gonna go with the ml400 but they are pretty boring and dated, never been big on bmw styling so not interested in the x5 and audi is too... jelly beanish. i think the LR4 is pretty **** and i barely see them out there, like barely ever (im in toronto canada). So id like to hear from anyone good news bad news about their cars, new/used year and severity of the problem. My brother had an 2011 range sport, some of the quirky issues it had was the engine light ALWAYS on which became just normal, the dash lights stoped working and thats pretty much it.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
43K miles in 2 years and zero issues for my 2013 LR4 HSE.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reliability has improved overall, is the general feeling from all the things I read. Especially in the LR4 era.

Land Rovers can be tricky and expensive in rare cases. It is always possible to hit a hard to diagnose or just plain ****** fault/failure that a dealer might struggle to handle well.

So, are they perfect?, hell no, are they better than the other luxury brands, eh, getting there. Its a calculated risk to own one of these.

Do they have soul, passion, flavor... hell yes. Which is why a lot of us owners are willing to put up with a little more and even praise them after.

I think im at like 27k on my 2013 LR4 and no big issues so far, even after a lot of hard use, big ass bucks running into the side of it, nailing a tree, towing all over the place, road trips to florida and back to iowa. I think they can handle a lot. Look at how top gear US beat the snot out of the overland journal lr4... minimal damage.

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I and my wife flew from Detroit to NY to get our '10 LR4. We love it thus far. We thought, why buy a new domestic that has no panache and won't retain its value? I like the X5 on the outside but BMW has awful styling inside. The other premium offerings were just....** hum. If you want the ultimate off-roader in a Hugo-Boss suit, this is it.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new redesigned X5 is gorgeous on the interior. Just sayin!

I owned a 2014 X5 50i M Sport over the summer before flipping it. With the Nappa Design Leather Package, it was stunning. Made my LR4 interior look like something decades old.

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. To each his own I guess. They have just been to busy for me. I'm a pretty simple guy and don't like too many buttons and enjoy intuitive control features. I'm sure your X5 is awesome and **** as hell, just too busy for me on the inside.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. To each his own I guess. They have just been to busy for me. I'm a pretty simple guy and don't like too many buttons and enjoy intuitive control features. I'm sure your X5 is awesome and **** as hell, just too busy for me on the inside.

Not sure what is busy about a BMW dash or un-intuitive. The iDrive is hands down the simplest and most efficient infotainment in a vehicle IMO. I have yet to drive a vehicle that has a system as simple and easy to use. LR's certainly no where close.

I guess the only other question I would ask you is if you really go off-road? Do you need a large SUV? If you don't plan to really go hard off the beaten path or need to haul a bunch of stuff, RRS is my suggestion. Rides and handles much nicer than the LR4.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I and my wife flew from Detroit to NY to get our '10 LR4. We love it thus far. We thought, why buy a new domestic that has no panache and won't retain its value? I like the X5 on the outside but BMW has awful styling inside. The other premium offerings were just....** hum. If you want the ultimate off-roader in a Hugo-Boss suit, this is it.

You are going to love your LR4. I'm with you on the interior styling of the BMW. Even with the latest it has never appealed to me. It wouldn't stop me from getting one if I like the other things about it but it is not the vehicle for me. The things that people love about a BMW are not all that interesting to me. And I much prefer the interior space available in the LR4. And the no-fear feeling I have when I go off road.

Just saying be happy with your LR4. It is unique. And where a BMW can be fun on the pavement, try to take your LR4 off pavement once in a while. It can be a lot of fun without needing to break any traffic laws or being an aggressive driver. :smile:

Interpol

Reaction score
was on the bmw x5 thread and their 2014/2015 models have quite a few problems of their own too. Vibrations, alarms going off randomly, car wont shut off when they press the button, wind noise, rattling noises, engine lights on. I guess its fair to say that every car sounds pretty poor when you're looking for the problems and today with all the electronics and the sensors there's just more to go wrong on these newer vehicles. I hear the mdx has been pretty bad too.
as for the RRS, maybe im an anomaly but i'm not a huge fan of the new styling, in my opinion the front end of the lr4 is nicer than the rrs, plus i could use the extra cargo space.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo