Off-roading wound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erdoc38

Reaction score
So we went on our 2nd dealer sponsored off road trip today, and unfortunately came back with a battle scar. We came down ******* a rock/boulder while climbing a hill, with quite a loud bang. After washing the mud off when we got home, I saw a good size dent in the rear portion of the skid plate that protects the fuel tank (I think). Anybody know what the tank beneath is made of, plastic or metal? There isn't any leaking fuel that I can see. I have to take it in for it's annual service this week, so I will have the dealer take a peek at it, but was wondering if anybody had any similar experiences.
Thanks!

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rofl: welcome to the off road world! My tank guard looks like oatmeal. Don't sweat it. It's there for protection. The actual tank is plastic/phenolic/ABS...whatever. Not steel. Unless your fuel level sender is reading incorrectly from the damage, I wouldn't worry about it. You could always remove and pound out the dent if it really keeps you up at night?? Spend more time off road, if that's your thing, to get to know where the important and critical parts of the underbelly reside. If you intend to push the limits of your rig and your personal driving abilities, consider a quality rock slider to protect these components. Not all sliders are created equal. Avoid Aluminum sliders or sill mounted only. Rover Specialties or equal is the way to go -

http://www.roverspecialties.com/

http://lucky8llc.com/Search.aspx?Manu=Rover Specialties

erdoc38

Reaction score
That's reassuring. Thanks. While we don't go off-roading too often(there aren't too many trails accessible to trucks in Michigan), I do plan on getting some rock sliders, a rod-mod kit, and a front sump guard. I'd rather put some extra protection on it as an "insurance policy" rather than do repairs later. I do like the rover specialties sliders, but am concerned that they will make the truck louder inside. Any thoughts?

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sliders making a vehicle louder? That's like saying that since you restrung a guitar, that means your lawn grew. LOL, just kidding. The sliders won't affect noise levels at all. You'll notice them upon entry and exit though.

Welcome to the forum, and post pics of your LR4! :)

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the sliders you purchase and how they are mounted to the body/frame, you will lose a little of the noise isolation from the frame to the body, causing a little more cabin noise. It won't be an intolerable amount. New occupants to your vehicle will never notice the difference. The payoff is much better off-road protection.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the RS sliders require you to remove the lower compressor cover. The two halves of the suspension covers both have a degree of noise suppression. With the lower cover off, you will hear the compressor kicking on and off more than you do now. Combine that with the sound bouncing off the steel plate of the slider, you now will have "more" compressor sound. I do not have sliders so I cannot comment on the day to day sound issue. Many people in our club have them and I can say that their noise is no more audible than my compressor. In the cabin may be a different story?? In either case, the compressor should only be kicking on or off at start up or when you request a change of height.

erdoc38

Reaction score
The RS sliders were what I was looking at. I had cruised the LR3 forums, and it was mentioned that you lose some body/frame isolation with these sliders. I've heard that the LR4 was supposed to be quieter than the LR3, so I'm hoping that there won't be too much difference. Thanks to all for their input!

Attachments

• P1070036 (800x600).jpg
    P1070036 (800x600).jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 121

xray132

Reaction score
Place dynamat on top of your RS slider under the compressor area before you mount them up. It stops the noise from resonating back off the steel plate. I have it on my LR3 and I think it is as quiet as it was before the sliders.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey erdoc38,

Very nice picture - great looking LR4! I still have yet to do that in my LR4, but maybe someday. Though, sometimes I drive over the curb on my 4 mile drive to work - LOL!

On an off-topic, I'm a doctor too but work within the pharmaceutical industry. I haven't touched a patient in a few years - LOL.

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey erdoc38,

Very nice picture - great looking LR4! I still have yet to do that in my LR4, but maybe someday. Though, sometimes I drive over the curb on my 4 mile drive to work - LOL!

On an off-topic, I'm a doctor too but work within the pharmaceutical industry. I haven't touched a patient in a few years - LOL.

-David

Hey David,
I deal with patients everyday and i can tell you, trust me you are not missing much!!! I see PIA pts all day. That said, I am not complaining, however if I can make the same living doing something other than dealing with pts and insurance and practicing defensively in order to protect yourself from lawsuits, i'll be there in a heart beat. Its not fun anymore. You gotta treat every patient as potential law suit. Not fun!!! Sorry for the off topic rant!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635