Noisy Steering Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, when the disco is just started in the morning, cold, the power steering is REALLY noisy. It sounds like it's even getting worse.. but it's also getting colder. This seems to me a sign of impending failure. What can I do to solve this problem? Change out the fluid? Any additives?

Thanks

-Jim

D

discomike

So, what year, mileage and model?? How long has it been since you changed the p/s fluid??
Mike J

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is a 96 DI, 110,000 miles - I've only had it for a couple months so I've never changed it.

D

discomike

So your first project is to change all the p/s fluid and install one can of Lucas p/s additive, which can be found at most auto part stores. if the pump is not too far gone you may find some life left in the old unit.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Quaker State PS fluid with "stop leak," and for the first four-month period since I bought the truck 3 1/2 years ago I haven't had to top the fluid off due to a leak and noisiness. Lucas is also a good product.

A

ayavner

check the tech or FAQ section, there is a little writeup on changing out the fluid in the ACE pump, which is the same method I used for the power steering pump. lemme know what you think,
adam

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge